Friday, August 29, 2008

Non-photo Kind of a Week

Yes, it's blurred...but it's all we've got. This is Abbey after our housemate's daughter returned home from the Beijing Olympics with lots of stickers (see forehead and leg) and little gifts for Abbey. She was so happy to see "Livie" again.
We both started coming down sick last Saturday. We rested all day and the next day made it to our first meeting since we've been here. It was at an expat community a half hour away. A guy shared on the topic of loneliness and spoke of his first experiences here in China as he came to teach English. It really struck a deep cord and was all I could think about for the next few days. I have been so busy surviving that I hadn't really had time to think about how lonely and isolated I actually do feel. Especially now that all the Americans that were here helping with our summer camp have left. I didn't think I would want to connect with other westerners in China, but now that we are here I do feel a big need to do that. By the evening I was already in my "I don't think I can do this" (ie stay in China for a year) thought pattern and feeling much sicker, when we had an incident. At 9:30 pm Abbey fell out of bed and hit her head on the hardwood floor. She had fallen a few days before in our extremely dangerous bathroom, that is all super slippery tile with a shower that is open to the bathroom, so the whole floor gets wet. In that fall she hit her head on the tile and it really scared me. This time within moments of falling she threw up a huge amount all over both of us. She was also acting very out of it - moaning and wimpering and saying "I want my mommy", when I am right there holding her. It was so hard to tell if the incoherency was from it being an hour and a half after bedtime. the shock of falling out of bed, or if she had a very serious injury. She wouldn't keep her eyes open either, but that could just have been because it was so late for her. Was the throwing up from the sickness we were coming down with or the fall? I called a friend who called a doctor here and he said that since she threw up I should probably take her to the ER and have a CT scan and then go back in 24 hrs and have another. I skyped my dr's off hour triage nurse back in the states and had her talk to my sister and then had my sister skype chat with me. They felt that if she had only thrown up once it was okay, but if she continued I should go.
It was one of those moments - trying to hold my inconsolable daughter, who is begging not to go to the "hobspital", balance the laptop to make calls, soaking in throw up and trying not to slip in it, that I thought - Oh, my goodness, this is one of my greatest fears and it's happening. My daughter is hurt in China and I don't know what to do. But after a little reyarp with my sister I really felt that going to the ER when we were both sick, and dragging others there to be up all night translating and making international calls about insurance, etc., and putting Abbey through the scans (I am not an x-ray fan) on probably old machines - that I felt more peace about just staying home and seeing how she did. I let her go to sleep for awhile and then woke her up later fully and had her drink juice (big treat for us) to see if she could speak coherently. She seemed much better although her head still hurt and the next morning she seemed to be herself again. That day I was supposed to begin presenting staff inservice training on literacy but was so sick I couldn't even stand up, and Abbey was very congested and sick too, so we had to stay home. We continued to be very sick the rest of the week but began pushing to go back to work because I hated to leave everyone in the lurch and we were at a point where staying home wouldn't be that good mentally, even though physically we needed it. It was a very hard week because we couldn't sleep with all the congestion and trying to speak and present things is hard when your throat is so sore and your head feels like it's full of bricks. Abbey was making it through with triaminic strips (our favorite children's cold med) and the dreaded nose suction bulb. I was trying everything I had and that anyone else had - dayquil, nyquil, sudafed, airborne, zicam swabs, tylenol, and the one thing that seemed to work was the chinese otc antibiotics. We also had some mild stomach issues. It felt like a super bug, but it's probably just one that's new to us here. You know how you can get down when you are sick? Well I kept thinking about the guy's talk on loneliness. His got so bad that he and his wife just scrambled and took the first flight they could back to the US. Eventually though, they got strengthened through their support group and came back and are now doing well. I have been in the sticking it out phase, but thinking I don't know how long I can make it. But after hearing him I kept thinking we could just get on the next plane and be home, and it was very tempting. But then I have no job to return to until next fall and my home has been leased, so what would we do? While we were at home sick I turned on the TV and found the only English option which was a very depressing show about the desert here and about the one tree that can survive there. I felt a clear message about needing to adapt in order to be able to make it in this new environment. The need here is staggering. Masses of humanity without knowledge of the hope that can be theirs. How will they know unless they hear? How will they hear unless someone goes? It's been very shocking to me and a huge reality check on how blessed I've been with friends I am surrounded with back home. After just one month without everyone tears rolled down my face at as the words "What a friend we have..." were sung at the meeting.
Towards the end of the week things got better though with the arrival of a new friend from the US, Heidi. She will have my same job at the school we are starting in the orphanage. She will live here in our apartment complex a couple of buildings away. We are going to a meeting again together tomorrow and evidently she has more connections with people who are like minded and here for the same purposes. She's had a lot more experience living overseas and worked in orphanages in Romania as well, so I really think she can help me with the things I am going through.
Please don't flame me about the decision not to go to the hospital, please.
And if some of the wording here doesn't make sense please know that I am trying to convey things carefully, and I need you to do the same in your wonderfully encouraging comments and emails. You will never know how much they mean unless you are in a similar situation some day.

32 comments:

Kris said...

Thoughts going out to you. No one should be flaming you (BTW) for not taking Abby to the hospital. You talked to your doctor's office at home...you feel confident with the decision...you stick with it! Feel encouraged that you are covered in thoughts.

t~ said...

Nobody should flame you for anything. You doing a great job. Praying for you.

Donna said...

I'm so sorry you and Abbey have had such a difficult week...I know every one is pulling for you and praying for you. And we've all been there with the dilemma of wondering whether to take our child to the emergency room...it sounds like you made a very well-informed decision.

Hang in there...

Shauna and MacLean said...

Christi, I totally understand what you are going through. Having lived in a foreign country it can be challenging. Hang in there and know that you are changing lives. Take care of that sweet baby of yours and know that you did all the right things. Be strong and take care, We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Shauna and MacLean xo

Kim :) said...

So sorry you and Abbey have had a rough time... I really can't imagine. I do know that the Head of the meeting will continue to watch over you and Abbey - providing all that you need. Know that you both are being lifted in thoughts... (Hope my wording works.)

Anonymous said...

Christi,
The exact same thing happened to Juliana when she was three. She flipped over onto the ceramic tile and then immediately threw up and said, "I want my mommy." and I was holding her in my arms too. I was freaking out and was right in my neighborhood. I know it must be exponentially more frightening in a foreign land. I too chose not to take her to the ER even though many advised it. I felt it may have traumatized her more. I watched over her and she was fine. You did the right thing.
My heart goes out to you. I am sure you are going through a big adjustment and culture shock. I did my student teaching in England and I remember feeling the same way. I had never experienced homesickness in my life and was feeling so scared and alone. I had the advantage of English speaking but still felt so much the same. I kept telling myself that if I could make it through one day, then I could make it through a week, a month, etc. I had an amazing time, but in the beginning it was tough and I was scared being so far from everyone I knew and love.
If you can email me privately, I would love to chat more about how I can support you in any way that you need. I would love to send you some things from the US that you may miss, etc.
You are in my thoughts and daily remembered. My heart is with you and Abbey. I am here with a listening ear, willing to do anything I can to help you through.
Kolleen

Joannah said...

You are always in my thoughts! I love your posts. You have chosen a difficult path for the coming year, but I believe the rewards will be great. I can hardly wait to spend some time with you when you return and hear more about it.

Stay strong. We are all right here to support you.

Mick and Caitlin said...

Just wanted to send our encouragement and love for you and Abbey. I'm sure that it is difficult and we are thinking about you guys all the time!

Dawn said...

Just wanted to send some hugs!!

You did the right thing by checking with your doctors, no one should have any reason to flame you. You took care of your child and would have taken her in if things got worse so you did NOTHING wrong!!

I'm sorry you've had such a rough week, I have heard others talk about the "honeymoon" period when moving overseas, its perfectly normal. As soon as reality of life in a foriegn county sinks in, then begins the difficult time of adjustment. It sounds like you're finding a good support system to help you through, and remember there are lots of us here praying for you guys as well!!

Angel said...

My thoughts are with you and Abby. I think what you are doing is wonderful and I greatly admire you. I'm glad you have a new friend who has more experience and can help you. I hope the next meeting goes well and lifts you up.

Let me know if I can send anything to you. Hugs and thoughts are with you daily.
Angel- July Dragonflies

Sharon said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that scare with Abby and have been sick.

This is a powerful post that is honest and heartfelt. No words of advice, just enjoying living vicariously through your adventure.

I'll be in Guangzhou later today if you're looking for some American company. We'll be here for 10 days. PM me.

Sharon

RamblingMother said...

Lifting you up here!!

Global Girl said...

Hugs

Cherith said...

I will be thinking of you.

Yesterday I went through exactly the same debate about taking a child to the ER. We chose to go and as it turned out, it was probably not a necesary trip. But it is OK. This is all part of parenting and I really believe that we can and should trust our guts in the decisions we make with our children.

It is more than clear how much you care for Abbey and the people of China. My thoughts are with you and I wish you health and a continued sense of peace.

Anonymous said...

HANG IN THERE! You are doing a great job. Believe it or not a lot of us have been in the same position deciding to go to the er or not. It is a tough decision no matter where you are. With Greg's concussions this last year, I have learned so much... you did the right thing! I am sure she was just still asleep and not feeling well to begin with. I am so sorry you had that scare! It is not fun!!!! Please always remember that we are all here for you, even if we aren't with you physically we are always with you in spirit!
We love you both!!!!

Lisa said...

Your posting was straight from the heart.. It is so hard to be a sick single mom with a sick child, never mind doing it in a foreign country and having a medical emergency besides. But I can't imagine someone handling it any better. You and Abby are very much in my thoughts-

Tracy said...

You did the right thing and I admire your courage for getting through the night. You are doing great things. Sending you great thoughts for the next week.

Kimber and Chris said...

oh Christy,
I admire you so much. you are so strong and I am praying hard for you.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.
Love,
Kimberley

~ Alison said...

Hugs from Mali & I. Hope you are (both) feeling better!

I truly admire your strength, especially as a single Mom. You're doing a wonderful job.

Anonymous said...

We are definitely "thinking" of you especially this week. So sorry for the trauma.

Two words (if they help): gummy peaches. I found them when we were shopping at that Costco-like store (with the live fish and freezer full of animals--can we say "interesting"), bought a 5-pound bag and our whole team ate them for the next few days as we FROZE in the cold weather (and no heat). It was so helpful having some familiar, American foods around...and from what I remember the import section at that store was great!
Great thoughts to you and Abby. Hope all is well at school.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I am so happy that you are doing better! I have tried to skype and email...Be strong and remember why you are there.

Meg said...

I think you are doing a great job- you know your daughter- you contacted med help......keep your head up- this is a very challenging time for you but you are stronger than you realize.....we'll keep praying for you and your daughter...
Meg

Truly Blessed said...

I hope Abbey is feeling better after her scary fall. You do the best you can as a parent, so don't second guess yourself about deciding not to take her to the hospital.

We are so encouraged by your steps of faith in taking this year to work in China. What a blessing you are and will be to so many, and what a life-changing experience it will be for the two of you.

sure wish we could visit you there!

Sylvia said...

I absolutely love your posts. I wait till the my family is asleep or otherwise entertained so that I can have some uninterrupted time reading of your adventures in China. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers from San Diego...Sylvia

Anonymous said...

We've only connected through email before you left, but I check in on you regularly and think of you often. We have good friends with 2 children who are also living in China doing like-minded work. Whenever I am feeling grouchy, tired, overworked, I stop and think about HOW MUCH harder it is for them to do their work and raise their family over there. What you are doing is HARD! Don't underestimate it! I am so glad that you have a support group caring for you from afar and that you are beginning to find support there too.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! We lived overseas in 1977-1983 for me and to 1989 for my parents...it was such a memorable experience after the first few months. I loved it and can't wait to move overseas again :)
Kathleen
in California

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Do what you do and don't second-guess. You're doing fine.

Hey, for the sake of your readers without great eyesight, could you break your text into smaller paragraphs? It's hard to read such big blocks of text.

Hang in there. Do what you need to do, whatever that is.

k1 said...

I once spent 13 weeks in Italy and know first hand how homesick one can get for the familiar.

I am so glad you have a new 'like minded' friend to fellowship with and with whom to share the good times and the good news.

Try to live vicariously through the Stateside blogs for that "at home" feeling, as we are trying to live vicariously through yours for that "travel adventure" feeling.

Blessings.

Karen

Eliza2006 said...

I'm coming in on this post a little late and I hope you are doing better by now. I'm sorry things have been so difficult. I think you are brave and I really admire your strength. Keep us posted on your progress.

Tiffany

Paulette said...

You are so strong and such an insperation to me in so many ways. I am so glad you can share your fears and understanding for the need there. You are making a difference one day at a time.

Teacher Mary said...

Christi: You did the right thing! When you feel lonely just think of your Daddy holding you & Abbey in his arms and caring for you and filling you with peace! You can make it through anything--just think back 2-3 years ago--and where you are now. This is nothing compared to that! Just keep in mind that in Star Wars they say "The Force is with You!"

Doug and Terrye said...

I just discovered your blog, so I have a lot of catch-up reading to do. I promise that you will be "remembered" daily in our home! It is that precious "hope" that we desire to be brought to the people, and we are thrilled to see you be so diligent.

Terrye in FL