Saturday, August 23, 2008

Let the Joy Come In

Monday was our first full day at school and it was very tough. Abbey screamed the whole two hours of nap time, "Mama, I want Mama", as I attempted to work in the office next door. It was extremely hard for me. She fought her way out and escaped twice only to be carried back. The next day she didn't cry but didn't sleep either. The next day she cried a little and still didn't sleep, and then on Thursday she didn't cry and she did sleep, I was thrilled! It was so hard because she was so stressed at night and in the mornings asking me over and over if she was going to have to nap at school. By Friday she was acting like it's totally normal and everyone does it, which of course they do. I just really had to tell myself that it would build security in her heart to get through this and know that I will still be there each day and that she will always come home with me. I think somehow she thought she might have to spend the night there. So I feel like we've overcome a big hurdle this week. Thanks to all of you that held us up and offered advice and encouragement.
It has really been fun to have this little chance to be her teacher. In another week she'll be starting her real class for the school year, but she will still come to my room for phonics each day. She is singing all the new songs she's learned at school. If I can get drop shots or youtube working here I'll post her doing her favorite..."Goodbye, goodbye, see ya later alligator. In a while, croccodile, with a snap, snap, snap and a great big smile." She started trying to write letters this week. She's done a little before with L and O but this week she did lots of very good A's and a T. It's funny that even though I'm a teacher I haven't wanted to work with her on academic things, I just want her to have fun. I know she will pick up things at the proper time, so I'm in no hurry to introduce them. I love to listen to her self talk as she rehearses things that have gone on at school. I also got to see a little naughty side in the classroom. I don't know if it was for my benefit or not, but she definitely tried pushing some boundaries and got a couple of time outs. She's really determined to hold her own and look out for herself with other kids.
She's also been creating some of her own very sweet songs. Last week it was "Let the Lord come in, and let the joy come in, like the rain comes down" and it was really beautiful. This week her theology got a little mixed up and she was singing "Cinderella's castle, Sleeping Beauty's house, Hallelujah", although I guess there could be a song of thanksgiving for princesses.
Abbey had been saying she wanted a Snow White umbrella and I was thinking there is no way I would be able to find one here. When we went shopping this week guess what we ran right into? You got it, a Snow White umbrella. I couldn't believe my eyes. This little one has connections in high places.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christi,
What a praise report that Abbey is adjusting to her new school. You are doing an amazing job with her! I am enjoying reading your blog and so impressed with all the new things you both have tried since being there. I know a lot of it is probably out of your comfort zone. I am just excited for you both and looking forward to what He has in store for you guys in the coming months. Miss you both!!!!!
PS. Scott & Madison say HI!
-Kim

Lindiana Jones said...

Christi,

I haven't been able to comment until now but I am so happy that the adjustments are going well! I love that you are able to post pictures and let us share your exciting journey. We are still in constant agreement with you in all you do in China. Amir says hi and we both miss you!

Love,
Lindi

P.S. Abbey has a connection in the Highest Place!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We are so proud of you, it must have been a hard week, but you continue to perservere! Miss you, Mich and Courtney

Donna said...

Sorry you've had some tough times this week...but it sounds like things are calming down and you and Abbey are settling into the routine!

Anonymous said...

I am certain I have heard the Cinderella/hallelujah song before and am convinced it was penned by either Rebecca or Evelyn Hald.

Anonymous said...

Christi,
My heart goes out to you and Abbey as she adjusts to so many new things. You can only wonder what is going through her mind in this transition. I give you a lot of credit for pushing through this tough time. I am hoping that you and Abbey will be feeling more comfortable everyday and will find your way in your new world. I love following your journey. It is simply amazing that you have this opportunity. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Kolleen

Anonymous said...

Having been there, I can totally appreciate being 10 feet away from your screaming child...knowing the best thing for her is to wait it out. Ouch! But we're so happy to hear that the week ended well. And...such a funny comment about the toast to Bob on the last post. Marquam and I laughed out loud! Oh, how times have changed. And...good for you for heading out shopping alone! Very brave. Way to go
-Anne

Anonymous said...

Thank you Christi for keeping us updated.
Hello there my little snow white princess.
I like your snow white umbrella.
Miss the two of you, but know that you
are just were you are suppose to be.
Love,
Mary Ellen

Mendy said...

So glad Abbey is adjusting to her new school after a rough start! What an awesome job you are doing! Love your blog.

Paulette said...

Change in routine is so hard but once the routine is established it is the new way. I do believe this little one has some big connection.

Teacher Mary said...

I knew that Abbey would be OK after a "period of adjustment". It's so funny how kids (and adults alike) really dislike and resist change but once we get the hang of something (it turns out to be fun!) we are content to go with the flow. You did good, girl! I am proud of both you & Abbey for sticking with it! Love you both a ton!