Friday, August 15, 2008

Peasant's Lunch

These geese are about to be lunch for our party, but not me. Veggies all the way.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone but I've now had beer twice. When the bottled water I'm carrying runs out I have no intention of drinking tap, so beer it has been. When in China do as the Chinese, right?
Roasted peppers. I must say, with all my cringing that the meal was excellent. We had the most incredible pumpkin leaves sauted in garlic. The fried rice was fabulous.

Red lanterns are everywhere here. Abbey asks me if they are pumpkins. Everything is so lush, tropical, and jungle like.


This restaurant has not been rated by our food service standards, let me tell you. It was a faith walk for me. Very off the beaten path. We are going with the flow here.

They stick wood from that pile over there below these cooking surfaces and light it. Everything is done with huge woks.
My friend Emily selecting the veggies we will eat. I will spare you details and pictures of the animals being prepared at the table beyond that, I couldn't even look. I also will not describe the blue pool you can see the edge of in the foreground. Temporary home to turtles and crabs.

Mr. Yang and his wife June who have been so kind to Abbey and I.

Okay, this is one of the places things got a little gnarly for me. On the way home from the beach last week we stopped in a little village for lunch at a peasant's home. It was like a restaurant on a farm. There is really so much I cannot say, but my eyes were really opened on this venture. It may sound strange but this lunch really helped me understand China a lot better and why things happen that are hard for us to fathom (like children being place at orphanage gates). I've seen a lot on various travels, but this took things to a whole new level of understanding. There is just a lot I won't say at this point. I'll focus on the positive, we made it through.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are just back from vacation (the ocean--hard to believe we were just on 'the other side' of some of where you two are) and I thought to check and see what Christi is up to. Oh my gosh! She's hitting the bottle! :) Don't blame you on not drinking the water and commend you on trying the new foods!
I am so, so proud of what you are doing! My only fear is that you will lose your heart to China and won't come back. I've already lost one cousin to Africa--would like to keep a few of you in the good old USA!
My goodness the adventure you are having! You make me feel so dull! :)
God bless you both, and don't worry so much about the up and coming changes for Abbey, things usually work out pretty smoothly in the end and kids can be far too smart when it comes to picking up on Mom's emotions.
Anna :)

Joannah said...

You are having quite the experience there! Wow! I'm sure it's hard at times, but you seem to be handlling all the changes gracefully.

I don't blame you for avoiding the water. Drink a beer for me, girl!

You are always in my heart!

((hugs))

Deb said...

It is so awesome to see your adventure unfolding Christy! What an amazing journey this year is going to be for both of you! A part of me wishes that we were at a point to do this too! Blessings to you both! Have a wonderful weekend!

Nina said...

What an adventure the two of you are having!! So much has happened... and so much more to come!

As for the beer... when in Rome, right?

It seems like not too long ago we met at FCC and you were a waiting Mom-to-be... Look at you now!

Hugs,
Nina

Lisa and Tate said...

Wow.. what an adventure you are having. Thank you for keeping us updated with this adventure.... You and ZZ are in my thoughts.

Lisa

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Thank you so much for sharing a glimpse of China, that for many of us would otherwise be impossible. For purely selfish reasons, I hope you continue. Perhaps when you're more settled and acclimated to the culture, you'll share some of your observations and thoughts. I continually struggle with trying to understand what would cause someone to leave their baby at a gate, but its hard. Any insights you could offer would be so helpful...but only if you feel like it!

Kind regards from Miami,

Diana said...

I so ADMIRE and RESPECT you for what you are doing. I do not know if I could leave my "comfort" zone and move for a year but what a adventure you and Abbey are having. Your pictures are gorgous. I look forward to more updates and pictures.
PS
My husband travels to China ALL the time for work..we have hopes to go one of these times but it just has not worked out yet. I will have to see if he ever goes where you are.

t~ said...

What an amazing adventure!

Global Girl said...

Those are the kind of experiences that I loved the most :)

3 Countries 1 Love said...

I'm truly in awe of what you are experiencing. Someday I wouldn't mind doing what you are!

And as others have said....when in Rome....

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Your new blog is so fun! You never know...beer might actually help you eat all the new things that are put in front of you! Marquam and I are enjoying keeping up with you and Abby! Love to you both...and hope the week is going well with naps at school.

C's Mom said...

I just love watching this amazing experience unfold for you and Abbey.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some of your adventures.

Regarding the things you don't want to put in the blog....you are keeping a private journal, aren't you? Time flies and memories fade.

thanks again.