Monday, August 11, 2008

Hong Kong

We went to Hong Kong for the day last weekend for some shopping and site seeing. This is from a very posh McD's that has a cafe similar to Starbucks in it, do we have those in the States? Anyway, someone was very happy to have an ice cream with mommy and watch some ice skating. You cannot fathom the line situation at McDonalds...I've never seen anything like it. They had Hello Kitty gifts that people were collecting like hot cakes.
The view from Victoria Peak which we hit right at sunset. We took a ferry ride there.

We were treated to a fabulous meal at the top and Abbey really enjoyed the way they served her chicken nuggets in a cone with little dipping sauces. Our wonderful new friend Heather, who has already left us to return to Boston, was so kind to Abbey.
The unfun part of the trip is that we left at 8 am and began our return at 9 pm, arriving home at midnight. Since Abbey had no nap she conked out around 9 and I carried her many miles through lots of subway changes, immigration, etc. I used muscles that had been resting for a long time. At midnight we ended up getting a Taxi because the trains we needed stopped for the night. In typical driving fashion here the driver pulled a uturn in front of the wrong car. A man went crazy with road rage and began chasing us and kept pulling up and yelling like he was going to ram us. Abbey and I slid down to the floor and then I reached through the wire opening and grabbed our driver by the shoulder and yelled "Stop, stop!" I decided that if he wouldn't pull over I was going to start choking him from behind. He did pull over and we eventually got out of harms way but it was so surreal, like a movie. We were very grateful to arrive home safe and sound. Other than those three hours the day went very well.

13 comments:

RamblingMother said...

even with crazy drivers, what a wonderful experience you are having living in China. Precious pics of you and Abbey.

Dawn said...

Wow, what an adventure!

Despite the traffic incident, it still sounds like you had a great time. The pictures are precious!

Donna said...

It's so great to see photos of you and Abbey!

Sorry about your experience with the crazy driver...hope things are a little calmer for awhile!

Anonymous said...

You are brave! You are going to have the most amazing stories to tell. I will be looking forward to following along on your adventures in China.

MMM X 2 said...

Your adventures are so surreal. Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Love,
Amanda

Tina said...

Thank you so much for the photos. It's nice to "see" you in China. Cole and Sanjana really enjoyed "seeing" Abbey too! Sounds like a fun yet adventurous trip.

Anonymous said...

Hello Christi and Abbey,
Thank you for posting more on the blog. As you know I do not like to blog. But do enjoy getting your messages. You may make a blogger out of me yet. The pictures are GREAT. Looks like to me you,are just
where you are suppose to be.
Miss you.
Love, Mary Ellen

Cindy said...

Christi...I can't even BEGIN to tell you...I had tears looking at the pics of you guys traipsing around Hong Kong! It's so wonderful in so many ways...I am SO happy for you guys and your adventure together. Also, I LOVE the cone with nuggets and I LOVE what Abbey is wearing - a shirt? a dress? Whatever, I want it! love and hugs to you both across the seas :-)

k1 said...

Just chiming in with the others to say I'm glad to see an update. You have such an eventful year ahead of you. Hopefully most of the year will be less traumatic than the cab ride, but hey, things like that keep life interesting!!

God protect you both during your adventures.

Teacher Mary said...

It's so great to see a picture of the two of you! Abbey Baby looks like herself--cute & smiley! Wow-what a road trip! I think I could do without it. I sent an e-mail to my group list with your blog address & how to post a comment--looks like it worked! I miss you all but you are in my thoughts daily! Lots of Hugs, Kisses and Tons of Love!

Teacher Mary said...

Christi: I gave Billie a printout of your first posting! She was thrilled to get it. She has her own computer but it is not connected yet. I will be sure to teach her how to get your blog!
Love and Kisses to Abbey!

Paulette said...

So glad you when to Hong Kong sounded like quite an adventure. Thoes cabbies can get in quite a fight with eachother and over each of them not following any rules. So glad you are safe.

Deb said...

Christi....how fun to pop in and see how wonderfully life is going for you in China! What an amazing year you and Abbey are going to have! I have loved reading every post. Have a great week!