Wednesday, August 13, 2008

June Sea Hotel





The islands you see in the background below are located off Hong Kong, across the water from us on the the mainland.

We had 16 friends with us and the apartment is very small so Abbey and I left with 3 others and went to spend the night 1/2 hour away at hotel. We also had a Japanese style room with an ocean terrace. Above are views from our room. I felt really out of sorts at first because I was separating from my American friends and there was only a 12 yr old with us with some limited English. Also I had no idea where in the world I was, the hotel is remote. But it worked out great. Abbey and I loved our room and we were treated to the best dinner we've had here. Through signs and repetition I tried to explain what we liked - bottled water, noodles, rice, jiaoza, and broccoli. Our sweet hosts ordered exactly what we wanted plus some delicious beef and thin crepe like pancakes with green onions, oh, they were SO good. Abbey ate more than she has eaten the whole trip. It was rather embarrassing as others politely ate small portions and we wolfed it down. Plus, I thought that I was doing well with chop sticks but had several serious faux pas during this meal, probably overly excited about getting exactly what we wanted. We returned to our room to find Ice Age playing in English and watched about 20 minutes of it. That was really a fun treat for Abbey. In the morning though our hosts ate heartily and we barely ate. There was nothing really recognizable at the breakfast buffet except for hard boiled eggs and noodles. Everyone else was eating huge bowls of soup and lots of interesting vegetables. No coffee any where in sight (sigh). Next time I know to bring instant wherever I go. Do we sound like wimps? We really are trying new things but there is a limit to how much we can take at once and we are on sensory overload. I am almost a vegetarian anyway, and now I am heading even further in that direction. We do eat some chicken but I have to push both of us to do so.

3 comments:

Joannah said...

That looks and sounds like a wonderful time! What a beautiful location. This is such a fantastic life experience for you and Abbey.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! I am so proud of you both for jumping in so enthusiastically. You two will be bonded for life through these experiences together! Keep enjoying.

Teacher Mary said...

Sounds like the meal was wonderful. I do not think I could manage chopsticks only with all food! If you have made only a few faux pas then you are doing great! I know that you and Abbey will adjust completely shortly! Miss you lots & Tons of Hugs, Kisses and Loves to both of you!