Friday, August 22, 2008

Back at the Beach

Our friend Jasmine on the barbeque. Yummy shishkabobs.





Last weekend we went back to the beach for a double birthday party for two of Abbey's friends. Abbey enjoyed being with all the kids and had her first encounter with "musical chairs". She burst in to tears when she got out and I felt so bad for her. I think that game has been abandoned for good reason. There was plenty of other fun to be had, and she had it.
I was also very proud of our first trip out and around town on our own. We made it to Wal Mart and Children's World and got a lot of shopping done. It was really the first time we've been out of our complex without friends. Later in the week we were introduced to Metro, which is similar to Costco. I was thrilled to find some things that I haven't seen anywhere else, like tortillas. It's funny how much anything familar means to you. We are here to be with the Chinese and live in their world, and yet I feel an instant bond with any Westerner I see and even ads or logos from home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The beach looks gorgeous!

Abby said...

I totally understand the "bond" thing!!! I lived in Denmark for a little over a month and would get the same feeling any time that I heard people speaking English/Americanish in public. It can be so isolating to be out shopping, etc. when everybody else is speaking another language that you don't understand.

Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of being there... but I definitely understand the bond. =)

JinXiu said...

what an experience you are creating for both your daughter and yourself. Your daughter is too precious. I would love to talk to you privetly about your experiences. Could you please email me?

Staci

t~ said...

Beautiful beach!

Teacher Mary said...

What fun! It is a good lesson for Abbey in the Musical Chairs that we are not always "in". Just remind her that it's a game--just a game. I know it is tough for both of you. If she does it again she will do better-the first time for anything is always harder as you know from living in China. I am glad that you are getting more comfortable. Remember to dress right first thing in the morning! By the way, what is the time difference between where you are & Thousand Oaks? Big hugs, kisses and tons of love from me & our Daddy!