Monday, August 4, 2008

China 101

We made it and as of today finally have Mac working with our internet access! Can someone please tell me an easy program for blog photos with Mac. We used Picasa with our PC and loved it. I don't really want iphoto, is that our only option? On to our life... (with hopes that photos can follow soon).
It got very hectic the closer it came to our departure from the US. Twenty four hours before our flight I began to really wonder if we could pull it together or not. Thankfully my family finished the things we left undone. I kept wanting to say that it was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I couldn't because it didn't hold a candle to what I went through on my journey to Abbey. Finally we were ready for take off (or we were leaving even if we were not ready). I thought of Donna from Double Happiness when we went through security at LAX. It is no small feat with a 3 year old and I just don't know how she did it with two. After that it was all downhill.
Our flight was wonderful. When I came the first time I used China Southern and it was very cramped and I had a migraine. This time we flew Cathay Pacific. The flight was 1/2 empty and we had bulk head seating. They gave us an extra empty seat. They had adorable children's meals and toys and since we left around midnight little miss fell fast asleep for 8 hrs. They had Playhouse Disney and Wiggles music. I even watched a movie for the first time since I got Abbey. It felt like first class even though it was economy, the stewardesses were outstanding. It was really one of the best flights I've ever had, maybe because I was prepared for the worst and then was pleasantly surprised.
We flew direct to HK and arrived at 5:30 a.m. (left on a Wednesday eve and arrived on a Friday morning). We then had a couple of hours to wait until Starbucks opened at 7 and then the ferry ticket counter at 8. Abbey was able to do some running around and watch an Einstien DVD. I also had some special Snow White items in our pack which were helpful. And hooray for the color wonder finger paints and safety scissors! I asked a lady near us for the correct time and she later joined us on our 9 o'clock ferry departure. She was visiting her family in China but lives in SF. We shared a lot of important values and it was definitely "meant to be". She helped us all along the next leg of our trip and got me through immigration and got porters to take all our luggage ( 4 sixty ot seventy pound bags). She was with us until we were greeted by the people who picked us us to take us to our apartment. It is so good to be "covered" every step of the way and we have a big thank you to all of you who joined in agreement for our travel adventure.
We arrived to our lovely apartment which has been prepared for us over the past several months. We managed to stay up all day but only held up till 7:30 or 8:30 p.m. the first few days, which led to waking up at 4:30 or 5:30 a.m. We are now on track with China time, I think it's much harder when you go back to the US. We had the next day off and I believe that's when we had the baptism by fire of shopping at Wal Mart on the weekend. Can you say overwhelming? We did get a lot of things we needed but were exhausted and suffering from the intense heat by the end of it. Sunday was our staff training which was excellent. Monday summer camp began and let me tell you, the three year old group that I had were not happy to part from their parents. It was quite a scene the first few days with all sorts of crying, throwing up, etc. Little Miss Abbey had been told for months that she would be in my class, only to find she was not. That did not go well at all and she did not stop crying the first two days. It tore my heart out and by day three I was in tears too, so changes were made and she joined my group. This was a tremendous improvement as I cannot stand seeing my happy girl so devastated. She is supposed to join another class next month, but I am hoping by then she will be comfortable with other staff and our surroundings. We will still be in close contact throughout the day. Right now I am only working 1/2 day so we go home after lunch and Abbey naps here with me. We are loving that. Our Chinese lunch at school is a work in progress for both of us. We can always get rice which is helpful, but it's all very new and different. It's hard to determine what the meat and vegetables are, but we are working on it. On Tuesday nights our friends go ice skating at a very nice mall and we had a great shopping improvement over Wal Mart. Jusco is a fabulous grocery store and I had a friend there to guide me through the process. It was actually nicer than my Vons store in the US. Abbey has been a real trooper in going with the flow and sticking with me. On the trip over I used what we called a "safey vest" (aka harness) to make sure I didn't lose her in crowds. Now I have a wrist to wrist elastic belt which is more comfortable for her. We also borrowed Donna's (Double Happiness) idea for id tags but to our own variation. I used a safety release velcro name tag necklace from Lakeshore and put photo's of Abbey and I together. I wanted it to be very clear that the two of us belong together. I gave all our contact info on the back and a neighbor in the states translated it all for me. I made several and it's a good thing because we've already lost one.
Next we had Paulette, Annalise, and Will come to stay with us. It was so wonderful to see the long awaited dream come true. Annalise is from one of the orphanages that we are working with so it was a very special connection. They came on Wednesday and stayed with us until Friday. Annalise was doing great, such a happy girl, and Paulette was immediately recruited to begin work at our school. She evaluated a few children and really helped give strategies to work with some special needs. My class was fortunate to have her come and do a activity with music and scarves. It was really fun for everyone. She is so gifted with children. We had a very fun Shabu Shabu hot pot dinner at our friend's home and all the children had lots of fun together. Lots of fresh ingredients (vegetables, meats, dumplings, and noodles) are set out and you pick what you want and put it in the boiling broth to cook and then fish it out and add spices and sauces. Very yummy and fun. It reminded me of fondue with the Swiss because you are cooking your food together as you eat. The next night Paulette and Will also treated us to a very nice dinner in the chic Shekou - I had to go for a burger and fries for a taste of home, and Abbey got some mac and cheese which of course made her very happy. Lots of people were out rollerblading and skate boarding (with those twisting jointed boards) and the wheels light up. Vendors were out with light up toys that you launch in the sky and spin on the ground and everyone was enjoying Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. I saw several Europeans and the reminders of home were comforting to experience again for a few hours. The next day it was time for P, A, & W to go. I was happy to see them head off to meet their family in the US and begin their new life. So thankful we can stay in close touch online.
So much more to share but have to go now. Global Girl and her mom visited us our first day at school, but it was so crazy that we couldn't really talk. I can't wait to read her blog and catch up. We had quite a day in Hong Kong on Saturday (8 am to midnight shopping excursion which will not be soon forgotten). Okay, hooray that we are now online and can share with you all!

45 comments:

marcy said...

I've been watching for an update! Thanks for posting! I followed your incredible journey to Abbey and now am so excited to see how your little family is faring in China. Glad you had a good trip and I hope you'll feel right at home very soon.
Marcy

HuluMama said...

Glad you made it safely! I'm a long time lurked and first time poster.

You can use Picasa with Macs you have to download Picasa Web Albums Uploader.

Amy said...

Holy COW girl! YOU'RE IN CHINA! What is UP with that? I'm thrilled to read about all your adventures since arriving & am looking forward to seeing pics etc... and from one MAC girl to another, iPhoto is your best bet. Why don't you like it, I wonder? Anyhoo, good luck, God bless & drop me an email when you have some time. *hugs* from me & Ruby Roo...

-Us

Truly Blessed said...

Christi & Abbey,

I'm so thrilled to hear things are going SO well (and went well during the past week). So happy you are getting settled in China, and glad Abbey is making the transition well, too.

About the photo issue, I can't make any recommendations -- personally, I love iPhoto on my Mac.

Keep up the blogging -- many of us are anxiously awaiting the next installment...and are praying for the two of you every step of the way!

EKJKTK&E

D said...

Yeah! So exciting to read and can't wait to follow the journey!

Amy said...

Yay! I have been checking for an update and praying for your travels.
I'm so excited for you and Abbey to have this adventure. Enjoy!

Blessings,
Amy
Your dragon fly pal

C's Mom said...

So happy you have safely arrived into the newest chapter of life.

I look forward to following along and send the best wishes for you and your little girl.

Joannah said...

I'm so glad your journey was good and that you're settling into a new routine there!

I've used iPhoto ever since I got my Mac. I don't know any different, and it works for me.

:-)

Anonymous said...

So thankful you arrived safely and are settling in. I have been wondering how you have been doing.

What an experience!

Thanks for sharing this journey with us.

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Sounds like you are getting settled in! How wonderful!

I do not like iphoto at all. I just upload one at a time to Blogger!

Mendy said...

So glad you made it safely and are settling in. Thanks for the link to your new blog. I will definitely be checking in on you and Abbey.
Mendy

Cherith said...

I simply do not have the words to explain how much I admire your courage and spirit in making this move. You are an inspiration. Much love and prayers headed out to you and to Abbey.

~ Alison said...

So happy to hear that your trip went smoothly & that there were so many wonderful people around to help out!

I can't imagine what it must be like to adjust to actually living over in China - thanks for sharing all this. It sounds like an amazing experience & I can't wait to hear more!

Please tell our friends there (at 'B') that Mali & I say hello.

P.S. - twisting jointed boards = 'Ripsticks' =) Interesting that they enjoy those over there, too!

Mick and Caitlin said...

Sooo glad to hear that you've made it safely and are already well into your journey! We look forward to hearing/seeing more!

Catherine said...

Glad you've arrived safely and are beginning to settle in. Continuing to pray for you.

Tina said...

Hi Christi and Abbey,

Thanks for the update. I've been checking everyday. We look forward to seeing pictures when you get that part figured out. Sounds like things are starting to get better. We love and miss you, Tina and friends.

AandAsMama said...

I am so happy you made is there safely and are settling in. It was so wonderful following you to China the first time. Now it will be wonderful to be along with you in this amazing new life! Thanks you so much for sharing it all with us!

I also LOVE iPhoto. Although I am not crazy about the newest version. I still use iPhoto 6. I think it is the version that comes with iLife 08 that I am not big on. If that is what you had maybe trying getting the older version. It makes a lot more sense to me. Good luck!

Kimber and Chris said...

Christi,
I have been thinking of you so often and thrilled to read updates. Please post as often as you can and pics soon too.
I love this part of your journey- your future book is in the works!
I can't wait to see what God has in store for you during this amazing time in China.
I miss you. Even though I hardly saw you in LA I really miss you!
Love,
K & T xx

Tracy said...

Glad to see an update and that you are there safely. How great your flight went so well. Blessings to you on this new journey!

Tracy and Muriel

Global Girl said...

So glad to see the update!

When I saw that Abbey wasn't in your group that first day, I hoped it would be fixed!

Take care girls :)

-Kate

Linette said...

So glad you're there safe and sound! I've been watching for updates too. Can't wait to hear more about your amazing journey God has planned!

Donna said...

I'm so glad all is going well and you didn't lose anyone at the airport like I did!

:)


Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Laura said...

I just checked your old blog and am so excited for you and Abbey. What an adventure!

I'll be following you guys along the way.

Laura & Maeve

Carol said...

Thrilled to read about your adventures so far! I have been a lurker for a long time! :) Prayed for your journey and adjustment - glad it's going ok! What wonderful adventures and memories you are making!

dawn said...

We are so very happy for you as you embark on this new adventure.

I have also been checking for updates and am so glad to hear that you are ssettling in.

Phat Girl said...

Christi, I am so very excited to read about your adventure's in China during your stay.. Abbey and you are going to have an amazing journey.
I'm praying for you two! :)

Lucky Mama said...

It all sounds so exciting and wonderful. What an adventure. I can't wait to share your stories with Jamie and Kaylin.

Have fun--
/karen

Anonymous said...

congrats on making the move. Can't wait to hear all about your wonderful journey.

Kathleen
Palm Springs, CA
californiaautism@yahoo.com

Super Mommy said...

WoW - looks like you've made it! Can't wait to see what's in store for you!

Sylvia said...

i followed your journey to Abbie, and now look forward to following your journey in China.

Paulette said...

So glad you have made it on line. We are now back to the life of the living as the jet lag was tough. This girl does not want to sleep any more life is way to exciting and she does not want to miss anything. We are trying to find our rhythm and know it will come once we get over the newness of everything. Thank you so much for letting us stay with you and play with your class. Howls my little friend doing? Mix things up he is one smart guy. I have finally gotten to my Shenzhen post as I update the blog when I can and that time is very minimal. Lets scype soon.

Teacher Mary said...

I am so glad to hear that the flight went so well & that you had lots of room with no headaches or throwing up! I am so sorry that Abbey and you had some difficulty with not being together in your class but am very happy it all got worked out! Neat to have a Walmart & a better grocery than Vons! I was wondering if you lost your computer! Lots of Love to you & Abbey Baby. I miss you both!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear of your adventures! Hope you will be posting some pics of your students and the surrounding area. Are you close to any of the Olympic events? Know that you are missed and loved, Deanna and Dave Carter

Anonymous said...

FINALLY!!!!!

I thought you might of been doing my trick and get stuck in Hong Kong!!

I am elated that you had such a fantastic flight. That makes all the difference.

We miss you here and are very eager to following this journey you are on.

Sorry about no Mac info. I am a true blue PC girl!! But I am sure Andrew and Rebecca will have some input!

Love to you,
Cathy

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to find out that You and Abbey made it safe.

Great to hear that the flight went so well.

I know you knew that we were all her pulling for you.

I am sure that every thing will work out just fine with Abbey in a different class after she gets to know others.

Yes a big HOORAY that You and Abbey are back online.

Love, Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to hear that you and Abby had a great trip. Its sounds like you are already making great memories. I miss both of your beautiful smiles!

Love,
Teacher Christine

Anonymous said...

hi girls,
So thrilled to hear the flight was enjoyable, a blessing for sure!
We so miss you both and for Madison class is just not the same without her side kick Abbey!
Looking forward to hearing more about your new journey...
love to you both,
the Blands

Anonymous said...

So glad that you finally were able to post an update. I have been checking daily to see how you and Abbey were doing in China. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts. You are covered!

Anonymous said...

Skype chat will work to get around the time difference.

Anonymous said...

Christi, I am glad that you arrived safely and that you and Abbey are doing well. We miss you!

Rebecca Hald

Shelley said...

Gosh, your adventure seems to have kicked-off nicely. Can't wait to hear more.

Glad you girls are settling in.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Dear Christi,

Me and my family are long time readers. We love the fact that you take the time to share your life journey with all of us.

Could you please leave some space or carriage returns in some of your entries. It is very hard to read it from the readers point.

Big long blocks of text are hard on the eyes. We don't mean to hurt your feelings, but we would greatly appreciate the courtesy.

Hope you and Abbey have the best year ever!

Looking forward to following your adventures!

t~ said...

So happy to hear your travel over was so good! I look forward to your new journey, thanks so much for sharing it!

Lisa said...

So wonderful to finally see an update from China, and a pic on Paulette's blog- oh my gosh it makes my head spin to read about everything that is going on in your life..
A big cyberhug from Lisa

Donna said...

I'm so happy you made it there in one piece and with your sanity! I can't wait to read about your exciting adventures with Abbey in China!