Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Does Your Starbucks Sell Mooncakes?

We came home last Sunday afternoon to a home filled with mooncakes. A bunch of children came over and spent the morning making them. We were gone to a meeting so we missed the process but enjoyed the lovely results. I've since been able to reset my camera and spare you the blurry photos.
One very wonderful and special child.
She keeps talking about how she is going on a vacation with Laolie, my mom. Sometimes they are going to the beach and sometimes to the swimming pool. She is also planning on marrying her.
Abbey is great with building blocks. Love her work! She always has unique design features.
Starbucks finally opened and we finally made it down there and found they have their own Starbucks brand mooncakes. I tell you they are EVERYWHERE here as we gear up for the Mid-Autum Festival next Monday. They are quite the gift to give and recieve but I am still trying to find out who really likes them. Abbey and I will be going to a holiday party at the orphanage on Thursday and we are just taking it all in.

So, I am momentarily doing better, but I am really having my up's and down's and to be honest I am feeling really torn about whether or not we can be here for a year. I overestimated our flexibility and underestimated the effects that culture shock would have on us. I am also realizing after my first full week of the regular school year that I have no more time with Abbey than I did at home. My main hope in coming here was more time with her. We are seeing what adjustments can be made and I am really just having to take things day by day. One thing is for sure, having our new friend here from the US is very encouraging. We don't see her much because of our schedules but she is really a pillar of strength when our paths do cross. She's worked in an orphanage in Romania so she's already overcome a lot of the issues that you process when you make a move like this.

Oh, and thanks to Donna of Double Happiness and the proxy TurboHide, I can now access Typepad and Wordpress. Now if I can just get to Textdriven. Any easy way to double space on posts? I've had a few requests for that.
Does this bigger font help?


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't usually post, but wanted to say how much I've enjoyed both your blogs as we wait for our referral. It sounds like you are really having a bit of homesickness, which is natural. But what a wonderful experience you are having, it is the experience of a lifetime. Even if you are not having more time (in hours) with Abby, it is such a wonderful gift to her to live in China for a time. And you are contributing so much in your work. Hang in there, just commit to each day, and soon you may find that you might not want to leave! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences...and I would never have thought Starbucks would be selling mooncakes!
--Amy

Anonymous said...

I just love catching up with you and I am so glad you are able to catch up with me now ;-)

Teacher Mary said...

Just keep at it one day at a time. I know you are missing home, your family & friends a lot, but you can make it through--I know you can! As Amy said I think in the long run it will be good for Abbey to experience her land of birth and get immersed in learning to speak Chinese--you need to keep up with her (remember that!). I am so glad the Starbucks opened near you so you can enjoy a little touch of home that you loved! Change is good, even though most of us hate it! What does your Daddy have in mind for you during this time???Focus on that! Lots of Love and Prayers! Tell Abbey Baby Teacher Mary is waving to her & blowing kisses to her! To you, also!

RamblingMother said...

praying for your adjustment there.

Joannah said...

Your blog looks great!

I hope things will work out for you there. I am proud of you for doing as much as you have so far! You are an amazing woman!

:-)

Single PAP said...

i've been wondering how you found an overseas post for only one year. what site or search firm did you use cause i usually only come across two year posts--if you don't mind sharing.

and i agree with amy. you are experiencing some homesickness and culture shock but will eventually adjust and probably not want to go home at the end of the year.

enjoy it, it's going to be one of your greatest memories.

Shauna and MacLean said...

Christi,

So good to see another post. We do enjoy your everyday posts and seeing the lovely Abbey. Hang in there and know we are an email away!!

Shauna and MacLean xo

Abby's Mom said...

You are so brave to have taken all of this on. You have to decide what is best for you and Abby and I know you will. I so enjoy watching your journey both in China aand in the USA. You are an amazing person, Thankl's for sharing and for taking us all along for the ride :)

k1 said...

Christi,

Glad you hear your Spirit has been lifted some. Your friend and the meetings sound like true blessings.

Just by creating paragraphs, this post was much easier to read than some of the others. The bigger font is nice too for those of us with older eyes. With these two changes, I don't really know that you have to double space.

Hang in there, Kiddo, and know you have lots of prayers going up for you.

Hugs to Abbey from Auntie K1

Donna said...

I'm glad you're doing a little better...I just can't imagine the culture shock. Hopefully when things settle down, you'll have a little more time with your girl!

Paulette said...

I am so glad you have someone there you can connect with and get streighth from. Abby looks so happy. When might your mom come for a visit? Which Orphanage might you get to work in?

Lindiana Jones said...

You are so loved and so missed but we believe with you that you are where you are supposed to be "for such a time as this". yarp-ing for you daily!

C's Mom said...

Joannah tooks the very words from my keypad.

Thinking of you and the journeys of your life. I was thinking about the story you shared about your health concerns during your wait for referral. Your strength simply amazes.

Anonymous said...

Hey Christi,

Adding another "hang in there" but remember, where and when it counts, you're the Mom. It's easy to offer encouragement from a comfortable home half a world away.

You're the one with the responsibility to do what's best for Abbey and you. You are loved and supported on whatever road you take, wherever you are...

Anonymous said...

Hi Christi - so nice to read your blog - isnt technology great? It really does make the world a smaller place ... although it probably doesnt seem like it at times!
I am praying for you and Abby. I know you will make the right decision. I've been reading the comments from your friends - you have a good support group. So never feel alone!
All the very best to you. Hugs to Abby.
-Roxanne (in Ventura)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Christi!!
When I was a kid and we lived in Korea, Singapore, Bahrain and Qatar..there was no internet. My mom had me and her family was in Orange Ca...had to wait for aerograms to come in the mail...2 weeks at a time...you will get thru it and it will be SO worth it. It takes time to adjust....:)

Hugs,
Kathleen

Julie and Steve said...

Hope you are starting to get more adjusted. I've followed your blogs since before you got Abby, and I've so enjoyed watching her grow and change...thanks for sharing your life in China with us!

Sharon said...

Christie:

Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision for you and Abby. I always liked the saying, "Nothing ventured, Nothing gained". So in the end, if you decide a year is too long, you have at least had the courage to try and that is more than most would have done. It is a great adventure. The answer will come to you.

Thank heaven for Starbucks!!

Blessings,
Sharon