Saturday, September 13, 2008

Staff Party



Our staff had a Mid-Autumn celebration dinner Friday night. School will be closed on Monday as people celebrate with their families. I cannot believe how many moon cakes I've seen in the past two weeks. They are everywhere and people are buying tons of them. After dinner we played some American style party games like Catch Phrase/Catergories and People Bingo where you find people in the group who can sign a space on your paper for certain things they've done. I got to sign for a lot of the chinese staff on the space that says "can make lasagne", something I don't think any of them have ever done, and they could sign for me for all kinds of things I haven't done here. The funny thing to me was the prizes. There were typical Western and Chinese style prizes. The Western ones were coffee, cookies, and tea cups. The Chinese gifts were very practical - cooking oil and large bags of rice. It was explained to me that during the years of rationing these items they became very meaningful gifts and it has just stuck. Toilet paper and milk are also appreciated gifts. They also recited a fun Chinese poem that everyone knew and joined in on and taught the children a little song and dance. It reminded me very much of staff Christmas parties back home. Abbey was thrilled that she received a whole shopping bag full of goodies - chocolate squares being the highlight. The children shredded wrapping paper while the adults chatted. Two of my co-workers are from England and it's been fun getting to know them and learning from their experiences while living here.
FYI, a friend just explained to me the significance of a circle in Chinese culture and how it represents your whole family and life coming together. The moon is significant in this way with it's circular shape. I love moon gates and the entrance for the new school in the orphanage is a big red moon shaped arch.

8 comments:

Truly Blessed said...

Christi,

It sounds like you're really experiencing China, the highs and the lows -- what an incredible experience for both of you.

The photos and videos you've posted indicate to me how much you love China and appreciate the culture there. I know you're struggling with your decision to be there, so please know that I am praying for wisdom for you in making that decision and peace in your heart and mind when you make it.

Abbey, is blossoming, right in front of our eyes. What an amazing difference having a loving mother has made in her life.

God bless you both,

EKJKTK&E

Cindy said...

Christi, I just love reading ALL of your posts...it's always a fun boost to my day to get a little piece of your adventures every know and then! I love all the experiences you and Abbey are getting and it's a gift to me to get to see the Lord's hand overseas and so very far away from me and my little world. Thanks so much for sharing so often.

Teacher Mary said...

Is that the back of Abbey's head to the right of the empty space at the table? Sounds like it was a fun party & you both enjoyed yourself. She sounds a little like Jack Millikan who also loves, loves, loves candy! Lots of Love and Prayers!

Anonymous said...

HI Christi,
I have been reading all along, and I am sorry that I haven't replied until now! You are an amazing Mom, and you made the right decision to go to the place that your heart has ached for. I hold you in my "thoughts" and agree with you on hope, peace, encouragement- daily! Remember He only gives enough grace for the day, so if you are feeling over- whelmed for the year, just be faithful with day and He'll take care of the rest.
Love you,
Colleen Ellis

Terynn said...

Hey You!

It's Teri from Iowa! I have been following along with your China adventure.

I have something for you on my blog. Go and see!

bland4 said...

So exciting to follow all that you guys are taking in on this journey! We sure do miss you girls. What a blessing to experience all that you have been able to in such a short period of time. We are believing for you that He is going to continue to bless you, cover you, provide and carry you step, by step, by step until you are back home.
love u both,
-K

Anonymous said...

Hi Christi,

It's Maria, your old neighbor. I am sooo happy you guys are well and enjoying every bit of your time there. How exciting. Well, our baby is here, Collin was born July 29th, 6 lbs 3 oz. He is so big now. Take care and give a big hug to Abbey.
God bless you,
Maria, Keith and Collin Cooper

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official