Monday, September 29, 2008

Fish Ride and Looking for Clothes



Finally! I always plan to post when Abbey goes to sleep, then I end up falling asleep myself. We are on a break now in honor of National Holiday (anniversary of the founding of the PRC). We will be leaving for Xian tomorrow with our friend Heidi. This may be a little wild as this (and of course CNY) is the main time that everyone in China is able to travel. But we are going for it and hope to see the terra cotta warriors, Wild Goose pagoda, etc. Little Miss is asleep right now, tired out from a shopping trip to try and get some warmer clothes for our trip. We were not very successful. We had hoped to get a coat but it is still so hot here and we only managed to find a few long sleeve shirts and a hoodie jacket. We went to Children's World, our third time to that place and let me tell you it is not for the faint of heart. It's a two story building with clothes on the bottom and shoes, toys, and a place like Chucky Cheeses on the top. In China when you find something you want to buy you get a reciept from the sales ladies, go to the cashier to pay for it, get a ticket and go back to pick up the item, and then go to customer service to get a fa piao (another little reciept I need for tax purposes). I thought just the oprhanages put all these mismatched clothes on children, but everyone does it here (adults too). I am now joining rank. Gone are the days of matching outfits and hairbows. I take anything I can find that fits and that will do. We also went to Book City which is like a 5 story Barnes and Noble. We wanted to get a little book for her to take on the trip and of course the children's things were on the 5th floor and you have to take escalators. So ready or not we will be going tomorrow and we may have to buy warmer clothes when we get there. We have been living in flip flops and tank tops and didn't bring much more with us. We had our 3rd typhoon this week and it helped tremendously with the weather. I can now leave our airconditioned bedroom and walk into the bathroom without immediately beginning to sweat. I just cannot tell you how hot it has been here. Also, because it cooled down we were able to walk down the street to a new mall for the first time. We bought a stroller there which has been a huge blessing and we had a great time. They have a new TCBY frozen yogurt and a really nice Funoland area for kids. Abbey was so happy. It was her first time using one of those guns that shoots foam balls and going on a downhill zip line. We had a little incident at McDonalds where I was attempting to get Abbey a little pack of 5 chicken nuggets. We waited a long time and finally they came out with this big carton and about 20 chicken nuggets. The sales girl was very unhappy that I said "bu yao" (don't want) and counted how many I did want on my fingers again in Chinese. The manager was nice however and straightened everything out. A brazilian mom whose daughter is in my Mommy and Me class saw it all and was laughing at me and sharing the things that have happened to her here. We then went in the grocery and on the cereal isle Abbey pointed and said "Who's that?" I looked up to see our friend Heidi studying the cereal boxes. It is such a big deal to see any caucasian during the week and I think Abbey was totally surprised. It's such a comfort to run into someone that you know.
I still haven't emailed anyone yet but I will, soon! She's up now so I have to go.

11 comments:

C's Mom said...

The adventure continues. Wow, that seems like quite the process to shop. I can imagine I would lose interest (after becoming overwhelmed) in a big hurry. Then again, such an approach would be helpful to my finances!

Stay well. I love hearing about life in China for you and Abbey...thanks for sharing.

Nanette said...

Hi Christi and Abbey,

So glad to see things are getting better for you two.

I remember shopping in a very nice dept. store in Guangzhou and it was so confusing trying to figure out sizes, prices etc. Lacie was also doing lots of crying. She definately kept the spending under control, but what a shame since everything was so cheap!

Stay safe and keep us posted!

Lindiana Jones said...

Hi Christi and Abbey,

Shopping isn't always my "thing" anyway so I'll just live through your experiences. Love the pictures! Thank you for sharing!

We love you both!
Lindamir

Donna said...

Have a great trip to Xian...I'm sure you and Abbey will love it!

Joannah said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Christi,
Have a wonderful time on your adventure. I love hearing how things are going and am glad that you are feeling more comfortable in China. Know that I am talking to "Dad" about you and Abbey. You will look back on this year and just be amazed at all that you have experienced and you life will never be the same. I hope you have many days filled with joy and special memories. Give that baby girl a hug from us!

bland4 said...

Love the pictures. She is growing up so fast! I am so excited about all the little adventures you and Miss Abbey have been able to experience. Like Kolleen said, you will be forever changed. I am thrilled for you guys and I know that "He" is watching over you.
Hugs to you both...

Teacher Mary said...

My gosh, she looks like she has grown at least an inch. She looks like she really like the fish & I am sure she loved shooting the balls out of the gun! Abbey is quite the mechanical one. I am sure she would love to explore how it worked! I do not know if I could take having to jump through so many hoops in order to buy something--WOW! Yesterday it was about 99 in TO--but no humidity--sounds like you get humidity there! So sorry! Keep the armor on & remember where the struggles come from! Your Dad is full of hope and joy and peace as you trust him for all your needs! Lots of Hugs, Kisses and Love and all that Other Stuff!

Truly Blessed said...

The fun just keeps getting better, doesn't it!

I'd love to send something for Abbey -- do you think it would be more hassle than good? We think of you so often (especially since we're heading to Texas and hope to meet up with some of the others from our group). Let me know if you think we should send a box...

Have a wonderful time on your next China adventure!

laura said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official