Saturday, November 29, 2008

Magical Moments


Very cool Disney Metro line and station.


Wow, we had an incredible time at Disneyland. The weather was perfect and there were no lines, just walk right on to the rides. It's a smaller park, which is wonderful when you have a little one. It's all new and pristine. They just built It's a Small World and this was our first time to go on that as it was closed the first time we went to Disneyland in California. Abbey loved it so we rode it several times.
We also did her other favorites multiple times. This included Dumbo, Cinderella's Carousel, and the Tea Cups.
Right when we entered the park we met up with Snow White and Cinderella at the castle. Abbey was thrilled to talk with them and they were so kind to her.
We saw several shows, the highlight being the Lion King, which was Broadway caliber. I hadn't realized that the park would be decorated for Christmas, but it was beautiful. There was a giant tree on on Main Street and all the characters and employees were decked out. The parade was "Let It Snow". It was the first day and it was fabulous. It was so amazing to be sitting with Abbey eating gingerbread man cookies, with it "snowing", and watch all the Christmas songs and dances. Afterward they has a special Holiday Ball show with Sleeping Beauty in front of the castle. It didn't officially open until the next day, but they did it as a special event for the media so we got to see the castle light up with twinkly lights. I thought about all we went through that brought us to these special moments. If we hadn't gone through all the hard things, we couldn't have experienced this, and it is so worth it. Having a precious three year old daughter with eyes full of wonder at Disneyland at Christmas is such an incredible gift. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel which is gorgeous. It's right on the ocean and is modeled after the Hotel Del on Coronado Island.
We loved all the special Disney touches. Our bathroom mirror had Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs carved around it and all the amenities matched the theme.
The huge flat screen TV was loaded with Disney in several languages and it was so fun for Abbey to be able to watch Playhouse Disney in English!! She got to take a huge bubble bath, which was a real treat since we only have a shower in China.
The next morning we had a long leisurely breakfast on a little victorian sofa surrounded by gingerbread houses and Christmas tea decorations.
Abbey loved the buffet with imported cheeses and all kinds of nuts, two of her favorite things. I was in heaven with the croissants and coffee.
Princess Mulan came in for a visit and we also went to the playroom and did a craft.
We then headed back to the park and did all the Fantasyland rides again. After that we headed on the subway to meet friends in Hong Kong at a new mall. We were all going to travel home together but I realized I had left our passports back in the safe at Disneyland. We were so tired at that point and I had two doses of migraine med that day and decided we would just go back and stay for another night. We moved over to the Hollywood Style Disney Hotel and spent another cushie night with Playhouse Disney and a bag full of snacks and noodles from 7-11. It really turned out to be a blessing to stay longer and the next day we took the subway back to the new mall and shopped and ate all day. I was able to get several Christmas gifts for Abbey. We spent a chunk of time in a big Barnes and Noble style bookstore called Metro. It had tons of books in English and a craft area that Abbey got to color in for about an hour. It was really fun. I am so thankful to have had this very special time with Abbey, what a huge blessing.

Abbey was running around after the Golden Mickey's show with some of the streamers that fell. I caught a glimpse of her and had a flash forward to a day in the future when she may be holding a bouqet in her hand.She got out in front of the crowd waiting for the parade and put on her own little show, complete with some very funny dancing.

I am doing better with travelling. If I can't manage Abbey's stroller and the suitcase, backpack, and packages, then I have her get out and push the stroller while I manage the other things. She is a really good helper and loves to be out with people and action. I've also learned to use lockers and help desks to leave things so we aren't so burdened down. I was worried how I could even manage before we went on the trip but it really fits in with one of the life lessons I've learned in the past few years. When you are on the path you are supposed to be on you have to just step out, not knowing how you will make it work and then you will find the way. It probably sounds silly, but for me it's just more steps of walking by faith. And when I've really needed help people have given it or I've stopped and yarped and He has made a way for me. And it helps having an extremely cheerful and energetic child. Honestly, she needs nothing to be happy, she just is. And if she is given something like a straw or a napkin to write on, well that's just the icing on the cake for her. She's now ridden on a zillion elevators, escalators, and in tons of taxis, trains, and buses. To get to Disney we took a van and then to come home we took the subway, a bus, and then a taxi. Going through immigration and customs can take some time, but again, we are getting the hang of it now and it gets so much easier and more familiar each time.
We hope that all of you had a great Thanksgiving being truly thankful, as we are. We are now off today for a big turkey dinner. It's an appreciation dinner for donors to the orphanage. We made about 60 cookies today in our little toaster oven that the children can decorate (with the M&M's Kelly sent us : ) tonight at the party.
Love and hugs to our friends and family who we miss so very much,

18 comments:

Shauna and MacLean said...

Christi, thanks so much for sharing your magical adventures in Disneyland. It must have made you feel a bit like you were home. I am thrilled to see you both looking and doing well. Take care and glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We all do have so much to be thankful for.

Shauna and Maclean xo

Anonymous said...

I smiled through this entire post. What a great time! You both look great and so happy :-)

HuluMama said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! Truly enjoyed reading about your magical adventure.

Joannah said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun! HKD really looks a lot like the real thing. The hotel is beautiful! Abbey was in her element, wasn't she?

I'm so proud of you for striking out on your own and exploring. I've had to do that in Europe a couple of times when I was traveling on my own, and it is daunting until you get started. And then it seems things always work out and you get where you're going one way or the other.

comingaroundagain said...

What a great Thanksgiving! Abbey is growing up (cute thing)!!

I love that you are both living in China for a time. I think I would like that.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sentiment about faith! The Lord has provided for you, and He will keep doing so.

Disney looked like fun!

Kimber and Chris said...

What a blessing it was to even read about this. It sounds wonderful and magical for both you and Abbey. And to be honest the photos of where you live are much different than I imagined. It is really a beautiful area - the buildings, bridges, etc. So happy to hear you seem to have turned a corner and thankful too for the reminders of stepping out in faith.
Love,
Kimber & tuesday xx

Abby said...

It's so wonderful to read about what you and Abbey are doing halfway around the world and how well things are working out! Abbey is looking more grown up in every picture (and you're looking so good as well! so thin!!).


Thank you for sharing your life with us. God bless.

Robin said...

Oh my gosh... Abby is getting more and more beautiful every day. My husband stopped by while I was reading your blog and commented how pretty she was. I reminded him about your referral story and that I had contacted you when faced with a dilemma ourselves and he remembered. God has been so very faithful in all our lives!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great time! You deserve to be proud of yourself, you are doing an amazing thing teaching and learning how to travel as a dynamic duo. We are looking forward to taking Grace to WDW soon.

Hugs to you!

The M Trio
Beth Dave and Grace

Staci said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! Looks like you and Abbey had a great time at Disney! So fun!!! :)
~Staci

Anonymous said...

Hello - so happy to read about your Thanksgiving and to see all the pics!!! Abbey is really becoming a big girl now - she is so beautiful. You both look very happy!!!!

Truly Blessed said...

What a lovely, magical Thanksgiving you had with your little princess!

So glad those M&M's came in handy!! :)

Hey, I'm sending off some pictures to a new soon-to-travel Yangdong family, do you have one you want me to include in our little album? Some of this trip to HKDL would be wonderful. If you tell me which one/s, I'll grab them off your blog and have them printed with the rest of the groups' tomorrow. Then I can send them off to Canada with Lilah Grace's new family!

Please let me know.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

What magical moments and memories for you and Abbey! As you overcome each little obstacle, you must feel so victorious! I think what you are doing is incredible and special although I know it comes with challenges and missing loved ones.
Enjoy each moment of this year. It is going quickly for me and I know you will be home before you know it looking back on this fantastic adventure. I am quite sure you will never be the same! I hope you said Hi to Mickey for us. Hong Kong Disneyland is on my list of must do's since I have been to the other three Disneys.

Lucky Mama said...

What a wonderful adventure. I wondered how similar, or different, the Hong Kong park would be. Looks great AND less crowded.

karen

p.s. I really miss the Hotel Del so it was great to see that photo.

Lisa said...

What a fun trip to Disneyland! The pics are beautiful, and I really loved the ones of Abbey with the streamers.. Thanks for link to your photographer friend- stunning work.

Lisa

Melanie said...

i love your blog! What an awesome adventure and testimony. Your daughter is beautiful and so happy. I am touched by your storyand especially about asking God for what you wanted "to spend time with your daughter" I will remember that when I am thinking of some of the things I want in life. We have adopted a daughter from China and we are working on our second daughter and I would love to live in China "someday" Thanks for the wonderful blog and keep living your dreams.
melanie
journeytojordynandjailynn.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official