Saturday, November 1, 2008

Harvest Party

When the month began and the blogs from the US started showing pumpkin patch trips and the planning of special costumes I felt a little sad that Abbey wouldn't be there to experience any of the fun. Well wouldn't you know, she ended up having fabulous fun here in China. We had a huge party at our school and it was exciting to see all of these Chinese families experiencing this for the first time. They were such great sports to jump in and participate. Pulling a costume together here is a big deal, you can't just go into a store and buy one. They had no clue about pumpkin carving and even though we sent out a note, the day of the party they were saying they still didn't understand. One sweet mom went out and got a bunch of pumpkins and we walked them through the process at the party. We even had a carved watermelon. To further their American experience we got Dairy Queen to come sell hot dogs and smoothies. Heidi played her fiddle and we all learned the Virginia Reel. It was so funny to think that I'm from Oklahoma but that I was learning how to square dance in China. Each teacher did a game booth with candy prizes. I had so much fun as all the little ones came to my door in their costumes. Now remember I had been a little sad that I couldn't get a special new costume for Abbey? Well that was just great with her because she wanted to be Snow White as usual. And guess who won the costume contest? You got it, they loved her. She had so much fun. There was a huge cake for our school's second birthday. So we didn't miss our American holiday after all, we just had it in China.
And...two years ago I flew to China on October 31 to meet my daughter for the first time. What an incredible journey we've had. Even then I knew we would be coming back here. Love will lead you to amazing places.

15 comments:

Bailey said...

Woohoo Christy and Abbey! We are so happy that you two enjoyed a wonderful Halloween. I am so impressed that you were able to transform the school into such a wonderful carnival. All I can say is Wow!
This reminds me...I remember when I was about 10 years old, my family went to visit some friends in Belgium. My mother mentioned to our friends that we were missing out on this holiday. Although they didn't quite understand the concept, they still wanted to make sure we didn't miss out of the fun. So, we were allowed to go into the lady's wardrobe and pick out anything we wanted...scarves were our favorite. We then went "in costume" and visited our friend's cousins and close friends who were told about the holiday and to be ready for our knock on the door. Something was lost translation at some point...each house we visited did have some candy, but we also walked away with a couple stuffed animals. My mom was so embarassed by their extravagant gifts, and told them that gifts are not normally something that people give on Halloween. But, the friends and family were so excited to be a part of an American tradition that they just wanted to put some smiles on our faces. An that they did.
Wow, what a memory. I am so happy for the two of you. Happy Halloween!
Bailey & Liliana

Brownie Troop 157 said...

What a great party! Learning to square dance in china is the best thing I've heard in a great while. Abbey, as always, was adorable and it looks like you both had a wonderful time.

Party on girls!

Joannah said...

Has it been two years already? Wow!

How much fun to share your American traditions with your new friends in China.

Truly Blessed said...

Oh Christi, I've been feeling so nostalgic that two years ago today we flew to China (to meet you and your brother!) so that we could go and meet our precious daughters. Two years (where has the time gone?) ...what amazing things have happened to our beautiful daughters in just two short years.

I loved your school's harvest party. How fun that you got to teach the locals to carve pumpkins (and I must say they look a lot like US pumpkins!).

Abbey (er, I mean Snow White) looked fabulous in her costume, as always -- how fun that she won the costume contest!

I love the memories you're making in China. What an incredible adventure!

Donna said...

Holy cow, has it really been two years?! I'm so glad you got the chance to celebrate fall with Abbey in China...looks like you had tons of fun!

C's Mom said...

Great stuff...glad it was a wonderful time.

Two years gone by so fast. I remember the countdown to referral on your blog as though it were only yesterday.

Linda said...

What a wonderful post.. Have been following your blog since before you went to China for Abbey.. I think how brave you are to go back to China to live for awhile. I know you so love Abbey you would do anything for her and She knows that as she always looks so happy. What an amazing 2 years for the both of you... Linda

RamblingMother said...

pulled together costumes? WoW I couldn't do some of that with a costume shop. Lovely and what fun to introduce some of your culture to theirs.

Faye said...

What a beautiful little girl!

Lucky Mama said...

You sure are making the most of this experience! My two Ariels send their love to Snow White.

/karen

Karen said...

Looks like a great party! I think it is great that you are in China. I know another family that is there doing missionary work. Hopefully we will travel next year!?

Liz and Ava said...

Looks like a great party!
I really enjoy following your posts from China...really envy you and Abbey for being able to spend this time in her homeland.

Lindiana Jones said...

If I didn't know any better, I would think you were here in the States! It all looked so American and autumny...um, is that a word? Anyway, I am so glad you got to share a little slice of an American tradition with your new friends! Abbey looked wonderful...Snow White seems to match her really well! Love you guys!!!

Susannah said...

What a beautiful child & such a happy celebration! Many, many good wishes to you!

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official