Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Counting My Blessings

Two years ago today I sat teetering on the precipice before I crossed the threshold into motherhood. I remember the feeling as I sat in my hotel room of being at the top of a big hill, knowing that a swooshing log ride style plunge was coming up in moments. It was glorious. My brother came into the room and we were both saying, "This is it". He gave me a beautiful Chinese mother-of-pearl necklace with the character for mother on it and a silk baby blanket embroidered with dragonflies. As wonderful as it was, I know it was very hard for Miss Abbey. She came out of the orphanage for the first time and left all she'd ever known, having no idea what would happen next. What a brave little one. As I've gone through the culture shock of moving to China, I've thought about what she may have felt in those first weeks and months. I have felt so sad to have left all I've ever known and adjust to the new foods, smells, language, and people. They say you move from rejection, to tolerance, to acceptance, to embracing your new life. I seen these little children do that amazingly fast. Just this week I've relived it as I've watched David, Nina, and Ariel with Kavanna and Amy and David with Ella. Here is some footage from our trip in 2006, just days after I got Abbey. She was like a little flower beginning to bloom.





14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You both have come sooooo far!!!! Even back then, you could already see the spark of love (and fun) in her eyes! I'm glad you are feeling more at home, but boy do we miss you. Thank you for keeping us in your lives via the blog.
Michelle

Lisa and Tate said...

You are right... she has bloomed into a beautiful lovely flower. Wow has time flown if it has been two years!

Truly Blessed said...

I love that sly little smile she had when she looked at you. I know she had a difficult few days, but I also know she would say it was absolutely worth it.

Congratulations on two years together!

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

OMG...look at how teeny she was! Happy 2 years!

Joannah said...

Happy anniversary! I have so enjoyed watching you and Abbey grow together.

:-)

C's Mom said...

This post just grabbed my heart and squeezed it in the most wonderful of ways...thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, three years ago, on
November 3, 2005, I was logged into China to bring Elizabeth home. Some special days in November! What a thrilling ride it has been. You described it well. I remember the same feeling when I was about to become Juliana's mom for the first time. I was standing on the Great Wall and it finally sunk in that I was going to be a mom and that in just a few days, my whole world was about to change. I can still remember how I felt. Isn't it true, that the wait...goes so slowly, oh so slowly cranking up to the top of the rollercoaster track, so many papers to fill out, so many things to move through, slowly making your way closer to the top and then whoosh....it goes so fast after that, whirling and zipping and turning upside down. Savor the ride, the adventure, the fun, and the joys of the journey! Happy Gotcha Day!

MMM X 2 said...

Running off to change a diaper.... But I had to comment! I LOVE the baby giggle!!! You are an awesome Mama and I love hearing how you and Abbey "grow" together!

Love from MS!
Amanda

Kimber and Chris said...

I don't remember seeing this at the beginning...it is amazing to me how much of her little personality was emerging even at this time. I am so glad you posted this and also shared your experience in relationship to our childrens. It really gives me an interesting perspective to think about.
So glad to hear the lighter sound in your "voice". K.xx

Donna said...

Wow, two years already! What a wonderful and loving family you have become since that day!

Bailey said...

Definitely count your blessings sweetie. Being a mother is absolutely amazing. I cannot believe how motherhood has filled my heart and soul with more love than I thought possible. Congrats on such wonderful memories. By the way, in answer to your question about the blanket, "yes." Check out my website for confirmation!

Nina said...

I can hardly believe it's been two years! Abbey is a beautiful little girl (and you're a terrific mommy).

Congratulations on 2 years as a forever family.
Hugs,
Nina
(and David, Ariel and Kavanna!!)

Teacher Mary said...

I loved this video. It is so cute to see Abbey then and see her now. What a difference a loving Mamma makes! She is such a great kid! I miss you both! Lots of Hugs, Kisses & Love! Lots of yarping going on!

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official