Sunday, December 21, 2008

Gingerbread Day in China!



About five years ago, encouraged by the prompting (i.e. goading) of my sister, we launched our first Gingerbread Day event at my church. It was incredibly fun and all involved concurred that it should be an annual event. We would have about 75 children each year and just go crazy with frosting and fun. As I prepared to travel to China to get Abbey (November 2006) my faithful friend took over my vision and kicked it up a notch adding more children into the party. I was so happy to know that even though we would be here in China this year the tradition lived on and they added a petting zoo, pony rides, and a bounce house this year. Those of you that know me well could probably see this coming...
When we packed for China we each brought just two suitcases, that's it. So we really took the bare essentials (basically medicine) but we had to include a can of meringue powder so that we could make a gingerbread house at Christmas. (egg whites in royal icing are not a good idea when we just recently had 90k chickens slaughtered on the border of Shenzhen and HK with bird flu). Well, when we were at Disneyland my fearless leader here in China admired the big gingerbread house we saw at the hotel and I told her about the fun we've had each year with our parties, she thought we could do it here for our school.
Let me tell you it was a new frontier and a new challenge, but we did it! Friday night we had about 200 people in for a big party and the kids really enjoyed it. It was different in that we couldn't have each child build their own house, they worked in groups on prebuilt houses that would then be taken to the orphanages. They did get to decorate and eat their own gingerbread man and I read them the story (new tale for everyone there). We had to order powdered sugar and meringue powder online and have it shipped from another city, but it worked. I just use my online converters to help me with the metric system for recipes. So our gingerbread traditions have now replicated into China and I am so happy for all the children. A shout out to Beth M, an online friend who mailed us the gingerbread cookie cutters, and also to Terri F who sent us the huge containers of sprinkles, they will now be used for the kids at the orphanages.
Funny thing - I was in ToysRUs last week and a woman (of course Chinese) came up to me and showed me a picture of something similar to a gingerbread man and asked me if I knew where she could find something like that, her daughter wanted one. I was just cracking up. I must smell like gingerbread. I think it's a wave of things to come in China.


13 comments:

Bonnie Loomis said...

Christy,

I never fail to look at your blog at least a few times a week to see what you and Abbey are up to in China. I so much enjoy it because of your enthusiasm and your Christian spirit, and most particularly, how you follow your heart and your calling, no matter how intimidating it might feel!

I've always wanted to start a Gingerbread house tradition at our home (me and my almost-11 yo from Yueyang, Hunan Province) and haven't yet done it for 2 people; you are doing it for 200!

Wishing both you and Abbey a wonderful Christmas,

Bonnie Loomis
Mom to Brooke (who will be 11 on 12/28)

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Wow, sounds like the party was a raging success! Hope you girls have a very Merry Christmas

Kind regards from Miami,

Carol and Taylor

Anonymous said...

These turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Grace had fun seeing the slideshow.

Merry Merry!

Beth

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

I have been a fan of gingerbread houses ever since my mom took our girl scout troop to the local art museum's display as a kid. I have a pampered chef gingerbread mold, but I usually go with the old traditional royal icing with cream of tartar. We do one every year, but I think a tradition like this would be lovely. We could donate them to nursing homes, etc.

Bailey said...

What a wonderful story. We have yet to build a gingerbread house here, but now that school is out, we are planning to do one this week. What a wonderful tradition you started, I cannot even imagine the smiles on the children's faces.
We miss you. Hugs and love to you both.
Bailey & Liliana :o)

Anonymous said...

This is great!! Very cool! Maybe next year you can help us at the Lighthouse...keep it going!!

MMM X 2 said...

I knew you would find a way! Next year you can ship crates of Honey Maid graham crackers and empty milk cartons! :)

Miss you from Mississippi!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

You have an award to pick up on my blog (if you want to!) I didn't link your blog at all.

JinXiu said...

Dropping in to say Merry Christmas and all the best for 2009...

Joannah said...

Merrry Christmas!

Teacher Mary said...

I am so glad to hear that you had your own Gingerbread House day in China! Way to go, girl! It was smaller at the SH this year but a big hit was the petting zoo & the pony rides! The kids had a fabulous time. I think everyone enjoyed it. We have tons of leftovers however. We had to garp for more kids to come in.

Lindiana Jones said...

Hi there! It's been a while since I checked in but wanted to share a little tidbit with you, especially after reading about Gingerbread Day in China. (This is already an international event - I just can't wait until it's on every continent!) Our friend Denise was visiting recently and came to our "meeting". She shared how Bob had told her about our Gingerbread tradition so she took it back to Poland. It looks a little different over there, too, but just think: none of this would have happened if you hadn't responded to your sister's "prompting"! Love it!

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official