Sunday, October 5, 2008

Terra Cotta Warriors





The next day we woke up early to do what all those who visit Xi'an must, and made our journey to the Warriors just as they opened. I've seen many pictures and thought I knew what to expect, but I must say they were more impressive than I could have imagined. It was mind boggling to think they had been buried for the past two thousand years and recently discovered. We made a wonderful friend named "Robert" who had studied at the well-known Foreign Languages Institute in Xi'an and spoke excellent English. He volunteers now at the museum and was so friendly and helpful. He took us to meet the farmer that discovered the warriors while digging for a well. There were originally four men, two are left living, and we were excited to meet one of them. We were asked not to take photos but he was signing books. We also went to the "in the round" movie that tells the story of all that happened there and I really recommend it. Roger explained that there are many decorative pieces, artwork, and animal statues that have been recovered but that are not on public display yet. You leave the museum a different way than you come in and let me tell you, it is hawker city. You proceed through many levels of people calling out to you and trying to sell you every kind of trinket imaginable, do not dare look to the right or left or show any form of interest or acknowledgement or you will be pounced on. Any one care for a chocolate covered ice cream cone with a tomato on top?

11 comments:

C's Mom said...

Oh, how I'd LOVE to see the warriors. That has to be amazing.

As for the ice cream...uh, no thanks. (Despite the fact that I used to put ketchup on vanilla ice cream).

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so jealous!!!! Amazing! Keep on enjoying!!!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

How wonderful can it be? I am so happy for you both for you to see and be a part of this!

Blessings!!

bob

Nina said...

Wow, those warriors are a stunning sight to behold.

As for the chocolate ice cream with a tomato on top... um, there are no words. Yuck.

It's wonderful to follow your amazing journey!

Lindiana Jones said...

Wow! That sounds like such fun! What an amazing thing to see and how wonderful to meet and talk with one of the men who discovered them!

Love you!
Lindamir

Ava Baby said...

How fun- my next trip to China will definitely include Xi'an and the Terra Cotta Warriors.

Paulette said...

So hope to see the Warriors someday. It was great to skype with you the other day. We look forward to getting to spend time with you on our next trip down south.

Truly Blessed said...

Seeing the warriors in Xian is on my list of things I want to do before I die. Just can't wait.

Loving your journey to other parts of China -- such an adventure!

Unknown said...

Hi Christi- this is Sanjana mom (Tina's daycare)..just a few days ago..i couldn't help but think of Abbey..and then i remembered you had a blog. I love the way you have documented all these memories...makes me wonder why i don;t do them for Sanjana...incase i start forgetting her "babyness"..i am so happy Abbey is doing well..and she will later in life appreciate this even more...I hope you are doing well too..keep blogging

Teacher Mary said...

I envy you seeing the warriors in the actual place where they were discovered & then actually getting to meet one of the men who discovered them--wow! What an awesome thing. What did Abbey think of all these people standing in a pit? I agree with all the other posters--I think not regarding the ice cream with a tomota on top! Lots of Hugs, Kisses and Loves to my Two Best Girls! I know that your Daddy is taking great care of you and that he always will!!!

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official,Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official