Monday, July 27, 2009

Happily Home!

Saying goodbye to friends!
I love "Cafe Pafisic"!
We had to go check out the prayer room at the HK airport. There are mats and a big floor compass for Muslims, along with an area to shower off before praying
We are back and enjoying every moment of freedom, family, and starting tomorrow, friends. It's once again very surreal to be here. It's like we have alternate realities and they are so vastly different that one doesn't seem as real when we are in the other. As you can tell I finally gave up earlier in the month on trying to post. After months of Blogger and Youtube being blocked it was very disheartening when FB and Twitter were gone as well (of course along with Flicker, Typepad, etc.). The proxy situations were difficult and time consuming so we did what they hope you will do and quit trying. I love to research and network on all that is near and dear to us, so being cut off really bothered me. But it's over, and we are diving in : )

The flight home was great. We got bulk head seating on Cathy Pacific again and Abbey is a wonderful little travler. She is so into her passport (which is pretty full now) and loves going here and there on buses, taxi's, trains, boats, you name it. For her CP is all about Playhouse Disney, children's meals, and goodie bags. I had a migraine but also had and Imitrex shot which saved the day. I've gotten one now every time we've flown here to there, so I think it must be about the air pressure, because other than that they only come at a set time each month. I had $350 to spend on the duty free goods with vouchers from our last trip when there was no electrictiy on our ailse. I would have preferred an upgrade to first class, but still it was nice. Abbey got to meet one of the pilots and go upstairs to the cockpit, she wanted to know if girls could fly the plane and they assured her that girls can be pilots too.

Our re-entry has felt like heaven, everything familiar and comforting. It does feel extremely luxurious and there is some guilt that goes along with that. My first bit of culture shock was seeing a large group of People to People high schoolers on our flight. I was shocked at the number of obese teenagers. In China I always felt conspicuous for being "large". Our last week there I tried to buy some leggings at Wal Mart that were one size fits all, but they were tossed aside on the first attempt to put them on. It feels very nice to be average again. Looking around at all the overweight people here in the US, I wonder how it all must appear to my friends back in our China home.

And then there was Target, the first destination on my list. Trying not to sleep during the day we headed out and downed a huge SBX (which has replaced the Target snack bar), and spent almost 3 hrs wandering around. Coming home with all our belongings reduced to 2 suitcases each, we need everything. A first pass at the basics (cereal, vitamins, toothpaste) totalled $242. My mind was spinning as I went up and down the shampoo isle. I just wanted some Pantene and there were about 15 different versions. Straight hair, long hair, volume, color treated, silky, etc. I finally got some Suave, they only had about 10 choices to narrow down. My sister later told me that if you turn the bottle over and look at the ingredients they are all the same, which made me feel much better knowing that I could pick anything and it will work fine. We had so much fun there. It was so freeing to be able to read everything and not have to do mental money conversions. Abbey gave up all her things when we first moved to China, and then gave up everything from this year when we left, so she is thrilled that it is now time to get some new clothes and toys and keep them. The last week in China was a little challenging as she gave away her bike, princesses gear, scooter and books. We did keep her little castle and dress up clothes.

Two embarassing moments today...

I went to get gas for the first time (it's so exciting to drive!) and couldn't remember about the different grades of fuel. I had to yell and ask a rocker teenage boy if regular gas was unleaded. Everyone was staring at me with their mouths hanging open. I sheepishly mumbled that I had been out of the country for a long time and couldn't remember.

At the post office I asked the clerk how much stamps are now. I knew I had some old ones somewhere, but didn't know how much they were for and needed to know what to buy to bridge the gap. When he showed me the display notebook I tried to take out a sheet to purchase and he snapped at me as if I had touched the crown jewels. I forgot that you just point and they retrieve it from elsewhere. It was the same Chinese clerk that posted all my adoption documents. He maybe thinking I'm a little cuckoo. I have so much compassion now for people who are switching cultures, everything is so different. I really want to reach out to foreign students and new immigrants and befriend them.

Abbey's big thrills have been seeing our family, taking a bubble bath, listening to our favorite Tommy Walker CD which we forgot to bring to China, and eating Mexican food at Sharkey's. We also spent an hour yesterday at an awesome toy store. The toy situation in China is so sad, but that's another post. She's excited to go to a birthday party today, start swim lessons, and hopefully see Tina, her former daycare provider, soon.

Our tenants don't move out of our place until Friday and then we want to paint and have the carpets cleaned before we move in. We are taking this week just to stay with with those we love and slowly re-acclimate before the whirl of work and school begins.

40 comments:

dawn said...

Welcome home and just in case you didn't hear me: WELCOME HOME.
I cannot wait to hear about the stories you wanted to tell but didn't due to respect etc etc. I would love one day to do exactly what you have done and truly admire you for being so strong and brave.
Love Dawn and the girlies

Truly Blessed said...

Welcome HOME!!!

Wow, I'm exhausted just reading about this last leg of your adventure. What an amazing life you lead!

So glad you're back and able to post again. Give that sweet girl a hug from all of us, tell her Katie says "hi" and that Katie has adopted Uncle Gene as her own (I have a photo mug with his face on it, and Katie loves talking about all of the people in our travel group. Gene is no longer Abbey's uncle, he's Katie's uncle as well!).

Truly Blessed said...

Oh, just in case I didn't make that clear -- the mug has everyone in our travel group's photos on it, not just Gene's!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to see you post!! and to hear that you are HOME!
Blessing~

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Welcome home!! What an amazing journey you have been on but I know how good it feels to be home again. Look forward to all of your catch up postings!

Sandra said...

Welcome home! You've been missed :-)
I am looking forward to all the stories I am sure you have to tell.

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Welcome Home!!!

Lilly said...

Welcome Home!

Will love to hear about your adventures in China. It's the small things like shampoo we take for granted everyday!

Very glad that you are back!

Kolleen said...

Welcome Home! It must be so wonderful to be in the familiar and luxurious USA! I had similar feelings even when I returned from livng in a foreign country for just two months...truly surreal! Enjoy your days off! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in China and those here at home.

Sandra said...

Welcome home! Looking forward to more stories of your experiences. I'm so inspired by you and your accomplishments!

M3 said...

Welcome home!!!!

Terynn said...

You did it, Christy! You really, really did it! What an amazing woman. What an amazing experience! What an amazing God!!

I cannot wait to hear more, as you acclimate, refresh and recharge. I am proud of you. You did a difficult thing and you did it with grace and abandon. :)

Lucky Mama said...

Welcome home. It was awesome sharing your adventure with you via your blog. Enjoy the rest of your summer --

/karen

Anonymous said...

Welcome home. I know it got off to a rocky start but so glad your year in China was a good experience!

park it said...

Welcome Home!!!!!!

No words sweeter!

We can't wait to hear the "rest" of the story now that you are on this side of the pond... :-)

Carol & Kimberly in FL

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I can't believe that you have adopted Abbey and spent a year in China and I still wait.......Look forward to catching up more. XO Dale

Lisa and Tate said...

Welcome HOME!!! I am sure it was an experience of a lifetime! Enjoy your time back in the country.

Teacher Mary said...

Welcome Home, My Lovely Girlies! I know besides having jet lag, the culture shock is not very far behind! I know that your time in China was a real adventure for both of you but looking back one can see God's hand everywhere on both of you. I doubt that you will be fearful about much in the future! I can't wait to see you both and give you huge hugs, kisses and tons of love!

Super Mommy said...

Welcome HOME!! You will get back into the swing of things before you know it! I have traveled to China 5 times - and while I love it - I cannot imagine living there for any length of time - I'm so spoiled!! Can't wait to read more about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back home to California!!!!

Kathleen
DTC May 15 2006

Beth said...

Welcome home! I have something for you and Abby. Email me thru facebook!

XOXO!
Beth

R in TX said...

Welcome Home Christie & Abbey!!!!!!!!!! We have loved keeping up with your journey this year. Take some time for yourselves & am looking forward to all you will share that maybe you couldn;t before. myabe we can all get toether with you at some point now. Our travel reunions have missed you both.

Sharon said...

Welcome home. I can't believe a year has passed already. I have so enjoyed listening to your stories of China and the comparison to living in the US.

Best wishes on getting "re-acclimated".

Sharon

Mary McG in TN said...

Welcome home! There is nothing like being away for a long time to make one proud to live in America. Thanks for the job that you did.

C's Mom said...

Welcome home, ladies!

Abby said...

Yay! Glad you're home!! I can't believe I've been following your blog for so long, that I feel like we should be good friends even though you don't know squat about me besides my name basically. Oh well.

AAAAAnyway, glad you're back settling in at home and such. God bless!

Donna said...

Welcome home from your wonderful adventure in China!

Brownie Troop 157 said...

So glad you both made it home safe and sound. Have fun settling in and getting re-acclimated.

Kind regards from Miami,

Carol and Taylor

p.s. Is it the camera angle or has A grown like a foot since the last slew of photos?

Anonymous said...

I hope you will get caught up and be able to share some more of journey when you are settled and before you start work and school. Are you home now for good? I love these stories and updates and cannot wait to hear even more.
so glad you are back !
Love,
Kimber & T xx

Paulette said...

Welcome home a year sure when by fast. Didn't I say it would a year ago. I bet you would do it all over again if given the opportunity. Well as long as you get to say home for a while. Make sure you obey all street signs while driving, drink water out of the tap and blog to your hearts content and talk about what ever you want you are home and we have missed you.

God Bless
Paulette and Annalise

Sylvia said...

Welcome home! I was sorry to see that you were unable to blog for the last month or so, but happy now to read an update. I hope you are able to share more about your year in China.

I have followed your blog since before your referral. Your story gets better and better.

Jenny said...

Welcome Home!!! Glad you made it safely home.

Robin said...

welcome home christi and abbey

t~ said...

Welcome Home!

Debra said...

Welcome Home Girls! Can't wait to hear all about your travels.

Mendy said...

Welcome Home! So glad you had a great trip back!

Joanne said...

Welcome Home from us too! Enjoy setteling back in to your home, friends & family :)

Unknown said...

I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,cheap jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,wholesale jerseys,cheap jerseys,cheap jerseys,cheap jerseys,cheap jerseys,cheap jerseys,cheap jerseys,cheap jerseys,cheap jerseys

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys