Saturday, April 11, 2009

Rejoice!!

We have the joy, joy, joy over here in Shenzhen and are gearing up to celebrate with those like minded around the world tomorrow. So happy that we had the opportunity to share the true story of Easter with the children and parents here, most of whom have never heard it. I just read it again myself as Abbey is taking her nap and am so moved to the depths by all that He has done for us. Amazing love!
We crossed another invisible barrier today and managed to take the bus and metro to find plastic eggs of all things! I heard from a friend that they were in a store across town and so we made the journey this morning. I have relied a lot on taxi's and rides from friends since we've been here . I've had no problem using the MTR but I thought the buses would be hard for us. After my friend Christy came to visit she explained things to me and it was so easy I can't believe we didn't try this from the beginning. Hooray for an easy way to get to where we want to go. Anyway, we ventured to a mall we've never been to before called Coco Park and found the Jusco store with the plastic eggs. I was hoping for a big Easter table display, but what we found was just a small shelf with a few bags of eggs, but we were thrilled to get them. Abbey also managed to find a bridal headband/veil that she loved. We stuffed alot of eggs and vinegar into my backpack as well. We stopped for some noodles and were able to "share the important message" with an older man who was eating next to us. I had to draw pictures and use hand motions but I think he got it and was happy.
We've had a busy week, in a very good way. One highlight was a special care package that came from one of our blog friends. She sent lots of wonderful princess things that I am saving for Abbey's birthday, coloring books (which we can't find here), and lots of Easter candy and goodies that I can give to Abbey tomorrow. I had once again been feeling a little sad that I couldn't do the fun holiday things we would do in the US when this gift arrived. My heart just soared knowing that He is so good to bless us in this way. When someone does something for your child it just means the world to you, more than anything anyone could do for me personally. And the holidays are a time when you can really feel how far away from home you are. So a big cyber hug to Super Mommy and all of you that have done such kind things for us.

We had a high tea birthday party for our dear Heidi in my friend's rooftop garden.
Hostess and guest of honor.

The view. I don't think I've mentioned the Eiffel Tower behind our apartments. Don't ask why, it's China. (same reason I don't ask why there was a naked man that came out and blocked our car on the freeway in the pouring rain last week)

The gifts, which were all great!


Incredible chocolate chunk scones. This is quite a feat to pull off here - trying to find the ingredients, using a toaster oven, etc., but Heidi managed to do it so I may try too. They were awesome!
Heidi's grandma's picture with her tea cup collection. She went to heaven in December but she was with us in spirit. There was also a great group of women that came, I just didn't get pictures of them.
The birthday girl. What an incredible gift she is to all of us who know her, especially the very fortunate children at Bao An orphanage!

Abbey also got to go to a pary for her friend Yaya. Birthday parties are rare here so this was a big deal. It was at Fundoland which was jam packed on a Saturday. The kids had so much fun eating New York Pizza.

Our school celebrates all the birthdays for that month on the first Thursday so Abbey got to have a little pre-celebration for her birthday which is coming up on April 20. Olivia brought her a princess back pack and she got to wear her princess dress (aka nightgown) to school. She asked for a special dispensation to wear the "make-up" that our friend Kelly sent to her, and I granted it. This involved sparkle lip gloss and glitter gel on her eyelids.
On our way to get the cake we took a peek at Windows of the World, where we will be having a field trip this month.
We went to a special bakery to get a Hello Kitty cake we had seen months before. We didn't want the typical fruit topped cake with cherry tomatos. Abbey has picked up the line, "I will NEVER, EVER eat a tomato!" from her beloved Charlie and Lola dvd's.


She was thrilled to have everyone sing Happy Birthday and blow out the candles. That evening she kept telling me, "Mom, I was not shy!"
Here with adorable Allie and sweet Mabel, her classmates.


On Saturday we went to Starbucks and filled out invitations to Abbey's little princess party which will be coming up soon. We managed to bring a few items like this back from the US when we were home for Chinese New Year. It's very hard to find birthday party things here.
She is talking about her party every day and saying she cannot wait until it's her birthday. So much fun. Later that day she filled all the goodie bags to hand out to her friends and just loved getting everything ready.


Blessings to all of our friends on this very special weekend!


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy early birthday to our sweet Abbey! She is growing up so fast. Have a joyus day tomorrow!!! We are heading to Monterey to look at the college, C is so excited. It looks like we may be taking road trips to go visit her in 2010-11!!! Love and miss you both!!

judy said...

I hope you both have a wonderful day tomorrow. I slso wish Abbey a very happy birthday on the 20th. I was starting to worry because it had been so long since your last post. Glad you are ok.

Super Mommy said...

The tea party/birthday looks lovely! I love the effiel tower by the builidng - it's so, so Chinese!! ;0)

That Hello Kitty cake simply looks fabulous! Was it as good to eat?

Abbey sounds like such a sweetpea -we would love to meet you all one day!! The goodies we sent were a gift from God - He knew you needed a boost!! I hope you all enjoy them and can't wait to see your princess in some of the garb!

Happy Easter - He has Risen!!

TK said...

I love the Hello Kitty cake. It looks better than any one I've seen here. Now K said she wants one for her birthday in August.

Happy Birthday sweet Abbey!

Joannah said...

Blessings to you both! Enjoy the day.

C's Mom said...

May your day tomorrow be full of wonderful things...and the days to follow.

Lovely photos and I must say that 'Hello Kitty' cake looked fabulous.

I am wishing a Happy Birthday to come for your princess.

Kolleen said...

I so enjoy reading your blog and seeing all that is happening in China. Thank you for keeping up with my blog and sending hugs our way. Enjoy this special day knowing what amazing love we have experienced because of what he did for us! Happy Birthday to your princess! I know my pink princesses would LOVE that Hello Kitty cake. Awesome! Enjoy every moment with Abbey...it is going so fast for me. Juliana is nearly 7 and Elizabeth 3...Hugs from the USA/PA

Donna said...

So glad you could bring a little traditional Easter fun to yur girl! Such cute pictures of Abbey!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Abbey! We miss you so much out here, but know that God is doing a good work through your time in China.

Love you both!

Lucky Mama said...

Is Abbey almost 4 already? Oh, I am not ready for all our little ones to be 4!!!

That Hello Kitty cake is so very cute!

I hope the princess party is a huge buddle of giggles.

/k

Anonymous said...

Hi- I've been reading your blog for awhile since finding it on salsablog and enjoy it so, so much.My husband,and 3 kids (one of whom was born in Feng Du and has been home with us for 2yrs) and myself will be traveling to Hong Kong in July for part business, part fun. I was wondering if you could give me some tips, or must see advice. Also we want to hit HK Disney for at least a day. I saw that you two went a bit ago, again any advice would be welcome. Thanks for your blog and for the good work you are doing sharing THE story. We pray for you and the children.
Lisa - our email address is RC.iceprincess@gmail.com

Shannon said...

I'm excited about Abbey's princess birthday party, too! Looks like the tea party was tasty and beautiful. Too funny about the tomatoes! =)

k1 said...

Happy Birthday Christi (Thursday) and early birthday Abbey (Monday).

Teacher Mary said...

Well, A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY is wished to my gal pal, Princess Abbey! Boy I wish I could be there to celebrate with you both--it would be so much fun! Christi, I am so proud of you braving the big Chinese world and taking the bus! I am so glad that the fear is being taken from your heart! It is never as bad as we think it is our our little pea brains! Lots of Love, Kisses and Tons of Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Looks like all had a great time at
Abbey's party.
Enjoyed every thing you wrote about.
Miss you two precious young ladies.
Love, Mary Ellen

soccerboy said...

Unquestionably between one of the most standard misconceptions about Wholesale Jerseys cheap jerseys wholesale is in any way instances that whenever you talk of Jerseys cheap nfl jerseys wholesale, individuals would inculcate to their minds sports activities uniforms, of cheap wholesale nfl jerseys which may be considered a fact with the way, but near to another hand is most possible generalizing the complete believed of it wholesale nfl jerseys cheap which may be totally stereotyping its essence. When we talk of jerseys cheap nike nfl jerseys, they aren't severely designed just to turn out for getting uniforms of some basketball celebration or your favored soccer celebration which is cheap authentic mlb jerseys, in circumstance you would want to pick it actually. http://cheapjerseyswholesaler.org/.

However, wholesale authentic jerseys allow me inform you. It's frankly a touch of the generalized believed instead of wholesale authentic nfl jerseys opening your minds by means of the endless possibilities how the earth has obtained to provide you. Whenever you talk about Wholesale Jerseys authentic nfl jerseys china, they ordinarily are not just some uniform of the particular team, authentic nfl jerseys wholesale it's a sort of material that is Utilized to produce individuals uniforms; and what other components that people are able to acquire by buying apart wholesale jerseys? http://wholesaleauthenticjerseys.com/.

jerseysok said...

Abbey sounds like such a sweetpea -we would love to meet you all one day!! The goodies we sent were a gift from God - He knew you needed a boost!! I hope you all enjoy them and can't wait to see your princess in some of the garb!
cheap jerseys
cheap jersey
nike nfl jerseys

Anonymous said...

By no means permit a pet insurance company to charge you a cancellation charge. If you locate out that your pet's insurance firm is a unethical one you do not need to cope with, let them know you decline to spend service fees to terminate your service. They may try to pressure you, but don't down again, and they will get rid of it. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Matrimo5656[/url]

Anonymous said...

One of the best and well known home remedies to take care of acne is Salicylic Acid solution. It is going to swiftly decrease the inflammation from the zit, and will also market speedy healing. Also, it is actually economical, and you do not need to use so much of it. A small tube will last for many years. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Pro232rgram[/url]