Friday, February 20, 2009

Two Homes, Two Lives, Two Worlds

The week before we went to the US we had the treat of seeing our friends Mark and Lynn as they came to adopt their precious daughter Paige.
Leaving Hong Kong airport at Spring Festival.
Abbey wore her tutu throughout the trip home.
Enjoying the beautiful California weather. Goodbye long underwear and heaters!
Big smile because Auntie Cynthia is passing out cupcakes as usual.

Both Abbey and I are assimilating our new reality. Somehow going to the US for Spring Festival and coming back to China made us rethink the words like home, school, church, family, friends. We have to clarify all the time which side of the world we are talking about. Our lives will never be the same. It's so funny to hear Abbey talking all the time about Hong Kong, Shekou, and Shenzhen...trying to blend all that with our life in the US. She definitely has a global perspective.
We had a bit of a bumpy re-entry into China as Abbey got sick the day before we left the US and eventually ended up with acute bronchitis. I've also had conjunctivitis and just today a massive migraine. We've been readjusting to how hard simple things can be like getting groceries, communicating with people over repairs or problems, and battling mosquitoes at night. We've also been appreciating again how simple our life and routine is here and how very thankful we are for having this year together.
We had a fantastic time in the US, meeting with those we love from morning 'till night, eating lots of yummy familiar food, and shopping at Target. Being at church was so incredibly refreshing. We also took care of all kinds of business getting our teeth cleaned, taxes done, immunizations, restocking medicines, registering for preschool, visa paperwork, and so much more. Our trip back to China was made so much easier because my mom came back with us. It would have been so hard to say goodbye and instead Abbey is thrilled to have her Laolie here.
Last night we were able to have Donna and her girls stay with us as they head back to work at their foster home in Henan. It was really great to be able to share our experiences and learn from each other. Abbey was thrilled to have three more girls in the house. Donna helped me to understand how cushy I have it here in our lovely apartment with access to more western goods. She is doing an amazing job overseeing a houseful of little ones with special needs, being a single parent, and adjusting to the challenges of living in China.
Abbey's day care had a special get together luncheon our first day back so that Abbey could see all her friends. It was so wonderful! Thank you Tina and Dan.
As if having a party for us was not enough, they also let us stay in their home for a week sleeping in the comfiest bed on earth and eating all their Trader Joe's groceries.Uncle Bob and Ashton make awesome forts. It's especially fun with a flashlight.Fun with Michalea, Luke, and Carolyn.
More fun with Laura, Penelope, and Phoebe - they rock! We loved every moment.
When you are very tired from partying with your friends find the nearest closet and go to sleep.
Feeding Derica's new pony. Abbey had her first donut at this play date - chocolate with sprinkles.
Our dear friends the Bland's had a mouth-watering Mexican feast for us with a houseful of our Shepherd's House friends. It felt so good to be with those who have been with me since I first stepped foot onto the yellow brick road. Abbey was so happy to be with Madison again.Pizza with teacher Mary and teacher Christine. Did I say we love our church?
Slumber party with Aisi and Breeana! Thank you to our Jonathan and Michelle for all your love and friendship.

Lindi and Amir treated us to our favorite Sharkey's Mexican food and Billie took us for a long awaited In and Out Burger. Joanie made us lovely quesdilla's and tortillia soup. Sorry to talk about food so much but it was such a fun break from rice, rice, and more rice. We love spending time with all our dear friends!




Oh, and our friend Kelly asked what was important to bring back to China with us. Tons of otc medicines and vitamins, birthday party supplies, a huge box of Goldfish crackers (you can get them in China but it costs a fortune), lots of clothes for Abbey from Target. Oh, and smoke detectors and makeup. Many of the comfort items we would love to have there we realized we can really live without for another six months and it will just be a huge treat to indulge when we have them again - like magazines and books in English, craft supplies, and good quality toys. Oh and also for Kelly, you will be happy to know that we got Abbey her very own real Disney princess camera and she is loving taking pictures!

18 comments:

Bailey said...

Wow, what an amazing trip home (both in California and in China). I am so happy for you both. I loved seeing the picture of Abbey sleeping with her blanket. So sweet. Our little ladybug sleeps with hers every single night. I am so happy for you, and just love reading about your adventures. I feel so blessed to have you in my life. Thank you Lord! Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

I hope you both are feeling better. It was wonderful to see you both! I am still playing on facebook, but ovbiously still check here! Take care of yourself and enjoy the second half of your adventure together. Can't wait to see you again in 6 months on this side of the world. Love and hugs to you both!

Super Mommy said...

Oh my Christi - I'm exhausted reading all you've done! You all look sooo happy!

Mick and Caitlin said...

Oh Christi! It sounds wonderful! I'm so glad that guys had a great time. We are sorry that we missed out on the visit! Look forward to seeing what the next six months have in store! Love you both!

kitchu said...

I so enjoyed reading this- glad you had such a wonderful time being home and visiting with friends and eating good familiar food. Having lived overseas on and off for a few years as a kid, (between 8-11 years of age), I can tell you those experiences were absolutely invaluable to me!! (Bangladesh/Iran). Sounds like it's been amazing. I was excited to hear about your friend working in Henan as this is where my referral will come from as CCAI only gets designated lists from there!!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful adventure. This is my first time to visit your blog and I will be back to catch up and get a better understand of what you all are doing. It all sounds so wonderful. And I sounds like you are such a wonderful, caring and giving person.

- Teresa Jane

Truly Blessed said...

Oh I just loved reading this post!

First, I love, love, love how Abbey wears a crown/tiara as often as she does - she's my kind of girl and would fit in well with my little princesses! And I'm SO SO SO glad she has her own camera - yes, you'll delete a lot of "junk" but there will be some precious pictures on it as well, and everything from Abbey perspective, so some will be memories to cherish forever.

I love that you have a good attitude about your stay in China. This year will change you in wonderful ways, expect to never see things the same after this incredible year.

It sounds like you had such a fantastic time back in the States, meeting up with old friends. Wonderful, wonderful!

Did you know that we have a fall '09/spring '10 reunion in the planning stages for our travel group? We'll let you know all of the details as soon as we know them ourselves. Can't wait to see you and that precious princess of a daughter you have!

Donna said...

Glad you made it back safe and sound...it looks like you and Abbey are having so much fun in China with your friends.

Hope you're both feeling better!

RamblingMother said...

Thanks for sharing. Your trip sounds fun! Glad you were able to get some comforts from home US for home China!

Anonymous said...

Two Homes, Two Lives, Two Worlds = Double Portion. I rest my case.

Salsome said...

Christi, I loved reading about your visit back "home"!! ...And it sounds SO familiar (having two homes, being shocked by things that once were so normal etc.)!! :o) You're right, this year will be an experience you will never forget and regret and once you'll be back in California you'll say it's one of the best things you`ve ever decided to do in your life!! :o)

I'm really excited for the two of you being able to experience all this (as hard and weird as it sometimes might be...)!

Love from Switzerland

Salome
(...if you see my sister please tell her I miss her!!)

Paulette said...

Living life in 2 world you and Abby are so blessed to be having such an expereance. I can't believe it is 1/2 way over. enjoy every minute.

Shawnstribe said...

so cute i loved the photos
xxx
s

Donna said...

Wow! You've been busy! Love the pics (beach one is adorable!). Next time I give my girls Goldfish crackers, I'll think of you. I can't imagine life without those little golden crunchy fishies!

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Ivy Shaffer said...

Hi Christi,
I was so excited to see your comment on my emails! I like making new friends and have little time to do so with a young toddler these days! But don't want to miss those precious moments either.

I have to laugh at your fear of the Big Nikon:))
What kind did you get? I actually bought the Dummies for D90 book and it walked me through it! If you scroll down and look at my wacky sense of humor of how intimidated I was, you'll see you're not the only one. You can order it for less than $20 at Amazon. com. It's a great, easy book. Just get familiar with the auto settings and forget the rest for now. I'd be happy to help. I'm still learning!

Mind if I link to your post?

Have a great day.

Ivy

RoLo said...

Wow you and Abbey have really become world travellers, I check in as often as I can to see how the 2 of you are doing. You are such an inspiration.:)

Teacher Mary said...

I sure was happy to see you both! What a nice surprise on a Sunday! I am sure that it was quite a "culture shock" to be back in the land of plenty & driving a car & hearing only (practically) English spoken! You & Abbey are learning truly valuable lessons during this year that will impact your lives forever! I am so happy for both of you & can't wait to see you again in July/August. If you need me to help in any way, just holler! Lots of Love and All the Other Stuff, too!

Unknown said...


pas chere blog

nike nfl jerseys blog

wholesale nfl jerseys us blog

free jerseys fans blog

bargain collection blog

free bargain blog