Saturday, February 7, 2009

Living Between Two Worlds

http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hope-1.jpg
I have had many moments since we arrived in the US of feeling we are in a dream and will be waking up any moment in China. It's been such a wonderful time but somewhat surreal. In two days we head back to our other life, and I miss that life as we miss this one when we are there. Some of the things that shocked me upon arrival in China have now been shocking in the reverse here. It's all the little things...
  • There is a lot of cotton on the q-tips here that I once thought we needed and now realize you actually don't, it's a luxury
  • There is toilet paper in every bathroom here and I don't have to check my purse all the time to make sure we have some. I see that as a true need, but no one in our other world does
  • My sister told me to use a paper towel last night for Abbey's napkin and it seemed so wasteful to use that huge piece of paper when we are used to having a very small, thin tissue
  • The refrigerators here were my first shock here and I continue to remain in awe of the size of them and the incredible amount of food in every home. It's awesome to see so many things we know and like...how do we pick, where do we start?
  • We've been sleeping on an incredibly soft bed and just giggling each time we crawl into it, we will be back to our 3/4" mattress soon. Hard as a rock.
  • The trash cans here are gigantic. At work and at home in China they are all smaller than a little bucket, I fill mine up at work about every 20 minutes. how is it that as an American I create so much waste? especially paper.
  • Media assaults and insults here. I was sitting behind a van last night at a traffic light (strange to be driving after 6 months) and this guy had mounted a flat screen to the back window with a slideshow of girls in bikinis with motorcycles. One thing I love about China is seeing nothing like that! Nothing like that on tv, NO magazine covers at check out stands, I mean none...they aren't even sold in grocery stores, convenience or discount stores.
  • I tried to go see a movie here, big mistake. My last movie was Cheaper by the Dozen on Christmas day several years ago. I attempted to go to Slumdog Millionare. Closed my eyes through the trailers and walked out doubled over and bawling 15 minutes into the movie. I can't take it...way to close to our home and heart in China. The begging and poverty is too real to me now.
And the big things...
  • Struggling with survivors guilt that I am free and that as a single mom school teacher here, I am actually one of the richest people on the face of the planet. What I am I doing with all that I have? I am astounded at the result of one US dollar in China. So little can go such a long, long way . I keep thinking of Schindler's list and how he grieved at the end that he had not done more, thinking with a few thousand dollars the lives he could have saved. Every dollar that is spent I am seeing children's faces, who in the world is thinking of and caring for them as a parent would? He is. More than ever I am convinced that He is a Father to the fatherless. When we allow Him to work in us for adoption or orphan care we get the honor of feeling His heart pulse through us. It is so near and dear.
I want to share a link with you to Emily Chapman's blog to see Maria's Big House of Hope. I am so thrilled to see them yarping as they assemble the cribs. And to think that there is now a hospice filled with love to usher children as they head into eternity.

While I'm at it I might as well link to Chinese Starfish too. She is opening up another foster home with nine new cleft babies, how wonderful!

13 comments:

Shauna and MacLean said...

Christi, wow it sounds like your life has been so immersed in China yet in the same sentence you go back to the US and it hits you. I too felt that after only a month in China. so I can't even imagine. Take care and safe journey back to finish your time in china.

shauna

Kolleen said...

Christi,
You have such a beautiful heart. I remember that scene from Schindler's list...I sobbed uncontrollably while watching.I remember feeling that way after returning from student teaching in a foreign country where I felt so digustingly spoiled with four pairs of shoes in my suitcase(many more at home) when my cooperating teachers in London only had two in their entire collection. While walking home, she gave one pair up to a woman on the street that had no shoes. Passing by people living in cardboard boxes under the streets gripped me too. I had so much. When I was in China to bring J home, the children in the orphanage there were so proud of the one doll and J who hadn't arrived home yet already had more than I could count. Thinking of you and hoping that you will be a gnisselb to all that you meet. Thanks for giving me something to think about and for reminding me of how immensely rich I am in more ways than one.

Anonymous said...

Have save trip back to China and may the Lord bless your season in that country! So you can be a blessing toward the people around you, which I am sure you are!!!!!!!
Love to Abbey and you,

Leontien

Teacher Mary said...

I cannot imagine who living in China would feel since I have lived my whole easy life in the Los Angeles/Ventura area. I will be doing my best keep both you and Princess Abbey in my mind while you travel back to China (your other home) and try and adjust to living there once again for another 6 months. It was wonderful to see both of you. Lots of Hugs, Kisses and Love to all (includign lao-lao)

Truly Blessed said...

You have such a wonderful heart. I just know that this year in China is going to change you in tremendous ways. What an asset you are for the work of the kingdom.

My heart aches to help the children in China. I wish I could just get on a plane and come over and get to work. Someday...

Paula said...

It's amazing how we adapt to our surroundings and how our "realities" can change. It makes one appreciate those little things in life all the more. Love your blog. Wishing the two of you a safe journey back to China.

Donna said...

Your time in China has no doubt changed your life forever. What a great experience for you and Abbey!

park it said...

Christie
We love reading about the things that are unique to China - yes I rememeber after coming home fm the adoption of my daughter and walking into my house - how many people could live in it - compared to how alot of people live in other countries...I think after you look into the eyes of the children at the orphanage - it changes you - the rose colored glasses come off (except for dress up time...)

Quick question - we are planning a vacation to China - and you menioned pull ups - my daughter wears them at night - can you purchase them there say in Carrefour? Just wondering if I should take enough for each night or could get some there - Beijing/Xian?

Thanks
Carol in FL

Tamara said...

Very enlightening post. I feel very blessed but so much more after reading your insightful post. Thank you.

Unknown said...


pas chere blog

nike nfl jerseys blog

wholesale nfl jerseys us blog

free jerseys fans blog

bargain collection blog

free bargain blog

Anonymous said...

Really good article.
cheap nfl jerseys.
cheap nfl nike jerseys.

jerseysok said...

more at home) when my cooperating teachers in London only had two in their entire collection. While walking home, she gave one pair up to a woman on the street that had no shoes. Passing by people living in cardboard boxes under the streets gripped me too. I had so much. When I was in China to bring J home, the children in the orphanage there were so proud of the one doll and J who hadn't arrived home yet already had more than I could count. Thinking of you and hoping that you will be a gnisselb to all that you meet.
cheap jerseys
cheap jersey
nike nfl jerseys

Anonymous said...

In case your locks and fingernails or toenails are fragile and lackluster, add in a daily over the counter prenatal vitamin supplement. These health supplements are incredibly cost-effective and definately will create noticeable results in 3 or 4 several weeks. Acquire one particular tablet pc every day and you will see that hair presents itself fuller and glossier, and this your fingernails are smoother, more robust, and more desirable. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Micr33oe5e[/url]