Thursday, January 29, 2009

Photo Details







Oh, what a busy time the past two weeks! We lost internet access in China for a week and then traveled back to the US during our Spring Festival school break. There was no electricity on our row for the Cathay Pacific 12 hour flight. They wanted everyone to stay in their seats due to turbulence but with no lights or TV, that is a little challenging with a three year old (who was so looking forward to watching Playhouse Disney in English for the first time in months). They gave us a big flashlight to try to hold if we needed to see something. The only open seats were center ones, where I couldn't put Abbey by herself and no one wanted to move. Given the situation I think she did pretty well. We sat next to someone very nice who didn't complain about her wiggling at all. The airline offered us a $25 voucher for duty free goods...I couldn't even respond except to say, "No, thank you." I'm now in correspondence with their customer service department.
We've been in a whirl of business that need to be taken care of here, and also trying to spend some time with family and friends. I have lots to tell, as always, but no time to write : )
I do at least want to take a moment to say a big thank you for all your kind comments here and on FB about Abbey's photo. Many of you asked for more details, so I will share a little here. I was wanting to get some current professional photos and wasn't sure how to go about that in China. I've seen fancy shops with lots of clothes and backdrops but they seemed geared toward babies. My friends had been explaining to me about having them done at a store that I can only liken to BabiesRUs (but really so wildly Chinese and different) but it sounded like quite an ordeal, and very expensive. We were shopping a couple of weeks ago at an infamous place that has 8 floors of knock-offs, pearls, fabric, etc. and were approached by a girl to have photos done. They had stopped us about a month before on our first trip to this "mall" and I just didn't have the time or energy. Abbey really wanted to do it and I thought it would be a good gift for my family. In a very tiny little shop they do your hair, makeup (that's why she looks so much older), costumes, and then take photos. The cost was 150 rmb (about $22 usd). Abbey loved having her hair and makeup done (first time) and I didn't think much about it until later. Because this was a spur of the moment thing I really didn't process it all. Looking back we still would have done the photos, but I would have put some boundaries on things. It was my mistake as a parent, I just got caught up in the moment. Abbey has the most delightful personality, and I want the focus to stay on the beauty of who she is as a person. She is still a baby with fat under her chin, wears a pull up at night, and drinks warm milk from a sippy cup. There will be plenty of chances for make-up and fancy dresses when she's much older. That being said, I do love the photos and will treasure them. I bought a disc and they made a little book that is coated with this great stuff that makes it water and fingerprint proof, it's really neat - kind of like a fancy board book with a matte coating. The disc and book were 250 rmb ($37 usd). We will probably go back and have photos done together because I want to dress up too and you can't beat the price. The ladies there really know what they are doing. We picked a Japanese outfit and a Chinese one. When I went on a hutong tour in Beijing (pre-adoption) I visited a family's home that had a special dress up photo from when their daughter was 2 yrs. old and she was now in her 30's. You could see that it was one of their most important possessions. I also have a treasured photo of my mom when she was three and was a flower girl in a wedding. So it had always been in my mind to do something like that. Now we are returning to our footie pajamas and our regular preschool appearance, I am keeping my girl in 3 yr. old mode as long as I can.

26 comments:

顺吉 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Truly Blessed said...

Christi,

ALL of the photos are beautiful and it looks like Abbey had so much fun posing with all of those props.

You've got a good perspective on those photos -- they're a once-in-a-lifetime thing and will be precious to have, but they aren't "real life" and, just like going to Disneyland, they're a very special occasion thing.

The prices are phenomenal! We had the girls' photos done and the photographer wanted $82 for an 8x10! 3x5 prints were $42 EACH! Obviously, we didn't buy much at all (this was through the "Celebrate Adoption" package, so we got the proofs free and didn't have to buy anything else, thankfully!).

Glad you're enjoying time in the states, and sorry about your awful flight -- hopefully the back to China will have electricity and no turbulence!

Sure wish there was a way we could visit you, it would be such fun to the get the girls together again!

Anonymous said...

It is fun to dress up :) don't worry we have black and white pics that we dressed up in colonial time and the 50s times and I had lots of makeup on it is fun
Kathleen
in La Quinta, Calif

Linda said...

Photo's are beautiful.. I wasn't sure it was Abbey at first, but on a closer look I realized it was...She is so beautiful now, but doesn't it make you think about the beautiful woman she will become... By that time she will know about inner and outer beauty and both will shine for her... Have a nice visit with family and a safe trip back to China. Linda

Paulette said...

Ahhh let them be little as long as we can. You will need to put a big fence around her when she gets older. But for now enjoy the kid stuff. Love the photos. Have a great time in the States. It must be good to be home for a while. You are almost to the end. A year does go fast.

Shauna and MacLean said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics with us Christi, they are wonderful. Take care and safe travels. PS good luck with the airlines

Terynn said...

Christi: Love the photos and love your perspective on them,. Couldn't agree more. Enjoy that 3 year old!!!

Hop over to my blog. There is something there for you!

Blessings, friend.

Joanne said...

Oh she is so precious! And she does look like she's having fun :)

k1 said...

breathtaking!

Terynn said...

PS To my earlier comment---

One of the first things I noticed about the photos of Abbey (and I am not kidding) is that she is starting to look like you!!! Really.

I see such a similarity in your faces--structure, shape, smile. I never noticed this before. Wowza. God is so wonderful!!

De Lucchi Family Treasures said...

Hi, my little girl is from Shenzhen too, I love the photos, Abby looks much older than three, she is so so pretty.
Where did you get the photos done? We have just come back from a return visit to China and when we go back again, I would love to have one of those books made too.
Love Jules
xx

Teacher Mary said...

I LOVE the photos. She looks so grown up. The last photo is the only one that shows the Princess Abbey that I know and love--that cute little, mischievious smile. I can see how you got caught up in the whole thing but I know that later in life you will be oh so glad that took them & Abbey will be glad too! Lots of Love, Kisses and Hugs to my two favorite girlies!

Kelly S. said...

These photos will look wonderful on in your home when you get back to CA.

Fabulous little event! ... and one of a kind!

Donna said...

Christi,

The photos are absolutely gorgeous! There is nothing wrong with playing dress up and a little makeup for a special photo session. It's when you do this regularly and prance her around on stage that it becomes questionable in my opinion. Could you only imagine how much these photos would cost her in the U.S.?

Abbey truly is a very sweet and beautiful little girl and you are a great momma!

Donna :)

Diana said...

I have NEVER seen more beautiful pictures before!!! She is absolutly BEAUTIFUL!!!!

JinXiu said...

The photos are amazing. what increadable memories and photos. They are trully treasures. As is your recious daughter.
I am so in awe of the experiences you and your daughter are having in china

i love reading your posts

staci

Mireille said...

I LOVE LOVE these photos, so cute and well done!! What a great memory.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Absolutely amazing photos!

Lisa and Tate said...

Fantastic pictures!!!

Super Mommy said...

Christi - what a treasure Abby is. I love, love these pictures.

Nina said...

OMG, she's gorgeous. You will be in big, big trouble in about ten years :)

Welcome home!! My first thought on returning to China was that we as a country have so much, and so many of us are miserable... and there they have so little, and perhaps I was looking through somewhat rose colored glasses but the people seemed overall much happier than here.

I'm rambling philosophically but what I really wanted to say was, "Welcome home!!" I can't wait to introduce you to Kavanna.

Shannon said...

She is beautiful, posed in these pictuers and in play... and you know, she does resemble you... =)

Unknown said...


wholesale nfl jerseys us blog

free jerseys fans blog

bargain collection blog

free bargain blog

pas chere blog

nike nfl jerseys blog

Anonymous said...

Really good article.
cheap nfl jerseys.
cheap nfl nike jerseys.

Anonymous said...

Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks
cheap nlf jerseys
cheap mlb jerseys
cheap nhl jerseys
cheap nba jerseys

Anonymous said...

http://www.dolabuy.com/celine-bags.htm celine handbags 2012 luis vuitton hand bags louis vuttion wallet cruelty louis vuitton eluxury real hermes leather bracelet orange self-service dynamite hermes birkin bag sale uk gravity Soviet celine handbags 2012