Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cockroach Crescendo


This post has been building since the day we arrived. I've held back as long as I can and now the truth must be told, the above creature has been one of my greatest hurdles in China. There were so many things I considered before coming, and this was not on my list of concerns, but it truly has been an issue. This morning I went in to the bathroom to brush my hair before heading out the door and what to my wondering eyes should appear? A cockroach crawling through my hair. I yanked it out with a brush, swished down the sink and plugged up the drain. I am just hoping that it was on the brush and just climbed on me momentarily, and not on me as I slept. This is an all time low point in my bug battle. We live in some of the nicest apartments in the city. I am a super clean type person. This is not okay. But this is just one of the things about southern China that I've had to adjust to. I have never had bugs anywhere I lived except for ants one time briefly during a rainy season in California. Although I keep all food secured in plastic with clips and keep everything put away all the time, they are here. Most of my friends say that they've disappeared in the last month or two as the temperatures have dropped. Unfortunately I am a baby about the cold and bought a little heater for my bedroom, something no one else does around here. And so all the cockroaches have left everyone else and come to me. I moved the heater the other day and about 6 scurried out from underneath. So...cold or cockroaches, that is the choice. Other gross outs...
They love to go under the microwave. They climb up inside it and I've seen one inside the digital clock. So now as steam is coming out the vent whenever I use it I am wondering just what all is cooking in there. Yes, there was one inside the microwave a few weeks ago. I spray Raid under the microwave and set up traps around it, and wonder what chemicals may be getting on our food. In my hurry to spray a creature I forgot about the gas flame on the stove and almost torched the kitchen. I used a bomb that worked for about a week, but that might also be what gave them the idea to head back to the bedroom.
And cockroaches aren't the only ones...the mosquitoes were a nightmare when it was warm. We have plug in insecticides and would have to cover ourselves with repellent at night. Did I mention I hate chemicals? Still we would be awakened and bitten all through the night, but they are gone now that it is FREEZING. I knew that bats were a symbol of good luck in China since the "fu" pronunciation is the same as the word for fortune, but to me they always seemed creepy. Now I understand why they are beloved. They fly out of the top of our buildings each evening at dusk and begin eating up all the mosquitoes. We are so happy to see them and it's our signal to get inside before we get eaten.
Flies were also a big issue in the summer. It was hard to even eat a meal trying to shoo them off all the time. The Chinese believe in "fresh air" at all times and continually open doors and windows. A plastic flyswatter was no where to be found, I went to many stores. Someone did sell me an electric tennis racket type thing that was supposed to zap them, but I never hit even one. I got really good with a wet hand towel though.
Now the geckos are sort of cute, but it is really yucky to find them in the sticky cockroach traps, I shouldn't even look to see what's wiggling inside, but somehow I just want to know how many bugs I've gotten.
So there it all is. You know I try to be thankful in all things and I am sure in the big picture this is all inconsequential. But I thought you all should know one of the things that's been hard. I remember Corrie Ten Boom being thankful for the lice in the concentration camp because the guards kept a distance and it gave them more freedom. Maybe there is some such redeeming factor working on my character and helping me to have an eternal perspective.

24 comments:

~ Alison said...

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Just reading this gave me the chills - that would make me NUTS!! & I'm not sure I'd ever get used to it.

I remember we had cockroaches in our bathroom at the White Swan.

Shauna and MacLean said...

Christi, when I lived in Malaysia we had lots of huge cockroaches and other flying stuff and i remember many times when MacLean would be riding her wee bike and I would hear a screech from somewhere in the apartment and she would be peddling her little legs as fast as they could. I hated that there were no screens on the windows. I can so relate to your hazards. When we were in China a couple of years ago we had horrid stink bugs that came in each night and if you stepped on them the smell was horrid. Hang in there I understand your pain but must admit I did have a wee giggle thinking back to macLean in the apt. Take care
Shauna and Maclean

Elaine said...

The tennis racket bug zappers work well on mosquitos too. It gives me a particular pleasure to fry as many as possible. Also, you might try mosquito nets? When the nasty things return in the heat. Geekos eat bugs as well, so you might want to encourage them to live with you. Bugs are the bane of my existence too - we live in Indonesia where it never gets cold enough for them to go away. I'm particularly tired of having itty bitty little ants crawl on me all the time.
Courage.

Anonymous said...

Oh GROSS! So sorry you have to deal with that!

Bailey said...

Oh yucky! I never even thought that you would be dealing with this, but now that I think about it, I am not totally surprised. I have some close friends who lived in Japan for a few years and they told me many stories about the 5-inch cockroaches that lived there. Yucky! Lots of hugs going out to you...lots of hugs!

Twice Blessed China Mom said...

So sorry you're dealing with this! I had cockroaches when I was in college, and it was so frustrating! I was quite anal about keeping my apartment clean, and those wretched things were present, anyway!!! I spent quite awhile catching up on your blog, as I hadn't had a chance to visit for awhile. What is the name of your school? I'm doing some serious research to pursue teaching in China in the next few years. I'm also trying to prepare my daughters (age 10 and 5) for the changes to come. I really enjoy your blog!
Jeana in Illinois

Cherith said...

Oh my hon I am so sorry. I so totally understand, there are some things I feel I could learn to live with and others...well, I am not sure I could EVER get used to. Roaches are on that list. I remember watching a show about them a while back and learning that they really like to live in electrical appliances for some reason.

I wish I had some miracle fix I could offer you.

Can you leave the heat off during the day so it gets REALLY cold and they all go away? Maybe they wouldn't be so quick to come back at night??? I don't know....

I will be thinking of you...

Donna said...

Oh my, I would totally freak out too! Sorry you're having to deal with this...

TK said...

I think that would be my worst thing to face too. Especially at night when you are asleep.
I think on Little House on the Prairie they wore those cloth caps on their heads to keep mice out of their hair. Maybe you will have to do that in China to keep roaches out!
Do you have access to boric acid? There is a mix that my dad makes with boric acid. He makes little balls of it and puts them in outlets and behind things to kill of roaches.
Ugh!

Truly Blessed said...

Yuck -- creepy bugs make me crazy!

BUT, you've got a great attitude in keeping the Corrie TenBoom quote in your mind, good for you!

Someday, when you've been back in the States for a year or two, you'll be able to tell these stories with humor, and will remember your "house guests" while you lived in China. Maybe not "fondly," but they'll make for some great stories!

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Oh good lord. We have the same problem in Miami, except they never go away b/c it never gets that cold in this swamp of a town. It doesn't help that i have an irrational fear of them. If it weren't for Orkin every month, my house would be overrun. Now the only roach I see is a dead one. Clean or dirty house, it doesn't matter. My bugman says if you have a clean house, you have clean roaches. Sigh.

Hang in there. Its a constant battle.

Yours in the good fight,

Carol and Taylor

Joannah said...

I'm sorry about the bugs. I would be miserable, too. They're just so yucky. We are so spoiled in Southern California - bugs just aren't much of an issue here. Something to look forward to when you pack your bags for home. LOL!

:-)

Alyson and Ford said...

Oh no! We have to battle them here but have lots of help with pesticide companies.... anytime I see a bug, I call them. You are really brave.... horrors! Guess I am a wuss (or is that wuz??)!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for 16 Weeks!

Kris said...

I'm so sorry. I'm not from the south originally, but have lived here several years. You never get used to cockroaches. From what I understand, they like to live on the gunk in your sewer pipes. So, if you dump grease down the drain, you're offering them something to feed on. Thankfully, we do not have them at our current house, but we did see them occasionally at our old house.

The best you can do is manage (and get your families to send you some good pesticides!) This is definitely area for me to yarp for you.

C's Mom said...

Oh my word, Christi. I am feeling ill and shaky after reading this. I am a complete phobic with creepy crawlers and I am telling you I don't know what I would do.

I didn't know about the bugalicious state of affairs. Ohhhhh....I am seriously speechless......

Nanette said...

Hi Christi,

So sorry to hear about the bugs. As much as bugs get on my nerves at least it is not rodents. If it were rodents I would have to return home!!! I am still trying to learn how to deal with scorpions here in Arizona.

This may sound crazy but my Great Grandmother used to get rid of ants by putting black pepper by her door. I tried this a couple years ago when I got ants and it worked! I put it down on the floor and they left. It was a little messy looking for a couple days but at least it wasn't toxic! Maybe you could put some under your microwave or even inside it.

k1 said...

Maybe you should try trapping the cockroaches live and selling them to restaurants. Aren't they considered an edible item? It could be an additional source of income!

Mireille said...

We used to live in Thailand and saw them once in a while. Now we are living in South Africa with our adopted twins from Thailand and luckily we haven't seen much cockroaches, although HUGE rain spiders are here the insect to see in the house. They like to hide for the rain and go hide into your curtains...Yikes as creepy as cockroaches. By the way; I love your blog, check out mine: http://funkydoodledonkey.blogspot.com

Donna said...

Oh no! I've been romantically considering what it might be like to live in China but now all bets are off. I simply can't live with those creatures. I can accept snakes and spiders but not roaches or other hard shell beetle bugs. It's not a rational fear but it's a real fear and I'm afraid I can't work around it.

You're much more brave than I'll ever be.

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Kelly S. said...

"Yuck!" as Kelly says. Those kind of bugs are very buggy.

Hang in there adventures aren't all cookies and cream.

Happy that the 2 of you are experiencing new cultures.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you had more bugs than we did. Cockroaches were our main issue in my apt there. I had traps all around the kitchen and I sprayed wherever I could.

Teacher Mary said...

Christi: Oh, my gosh, I can just hear your voice. You have been very patient in not complaining on the blog before this. I would freak out also if one of them came out of my hair!!!In any event, see http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/roaches.htm
Maybe it will help give you some ideas about controlling them. Lots of Love, Kisses, Hugs and etc to you and Abbey Baby!

Kristi said...

I wouldn't last five minutes with cockroaches in my house. You are a very brave woman! Truly.

Unknown said...


wholesale nfl jerseys us blog

free jerseys fans blog

bargain collection blog

free bargain blog

pas chere blog

nike nfl jerseys blog