Monday, September 7, 2009

First Day's of School - We're Lovin It!


For months Abbey has been telling me, "I don't want to go to *** *** School, I want to stay with you!" The night before her first day I was feeling frustrated that nothing I had said was helping and that she was dreading her new school. After her first day she came home happy as a lark and loving it all, as I knew she would. When I asked her what had changed her mind she said, "I thought they were going to make me concentrate very hard, but all we do is play!" I should have clued in on her concerns several days before when she asked me if she would have homework. Somehow she had gotten it in her mind that it was going to be quite academic, and we are both so happy that it's just FUN.
I have been working my tail off at my new job which I love. I am at a wonderful school teaching Jr. Kindergarten. It's a new program and really just a perfect fit for me. The school is wonderful - staff, parents, children - all of it. Here are some glimpses into my first day...










And as if both of our new schools don't have us busy enough, there is also Abbey's new dance school. She is thrilled to be taking ballet and tap and has the greatest little class and teachers.




She is so excited on Saturdays to go to class. She has turned into a little giggle box that just has the funniest, most contagious laughter that you've ever heard. Once she starts it's impossible not to join in. All things "ballet" and "wedding" now have equal ranking with all things "princess".
We finished swim lessons before school started and they were great, we really should do more. We've also been trying to work out Chinese school. We couldn't register for our local school online from China and the only option was to show up the first day of classes (you had to pre-register in person in the spring, which of course we couldn't do from China). Abbey was number two on the waiting list but I felt that it probably wasn't going to be a good fit for us. There were 32 4 year olds sitting in high school desks for two hours responding to the teacher one by one. This past week we went to another Chinese school a little farther away and the dynamics were better, but it only meets on Sunday morning, which wouldn't work for us because of church. I spoke with the teacher and she is willing to give Abbey individual lessons during the week so that's what we will do for now. I want to gather up some friends and start an American style Chinese class that's fun, interactive, and hands on. I'd love for it to have dance, music and crafts in addition to language. In the mean time I'm glad we've found someone that can teach Abbey.
So much more to say but I have to get some sleep!


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your classroom is adorable!!! Too bad it isn't at Conejo :( Glad you are both loving your new schools! You know I was a dancer, right? I would love to see Abbey dance. Miss you guys, we need to get together soon!

Sandra said...

Your classroom looks so happy; I love it!

Joannah said...

What a beautiful classroom! You put a lot of work into it, and it shows. I'll bet your students love it.

I'm glad you are both happy in your new schools.

:-)

Beach Mama said...

Looks like you both are off to a good start with the school year! I'm glad Abby is enjoying school and dance class!

Truly Blessed said...

What an awesome classroom! Good job!

Miss Abbey is just more darling every time you post pictures. Sure wish we could see her in person, though!

Good thing that you found a Chinese language teacher who will work with you, we're looking into something for our girls right now as well.

Glad you're back to posting - can't wait to read more!

Unknown said...

Man! I wish Caroline had you for a teacher! Although Caroline's teacher read them "The Kissing Hand" for their orientation and I loved that story! So cute.

Abbey is one smart cookie and she will do just fine.

Super Mommy said...

Not sure how I missed this post - but sure am glad I read it! How exciting for you - your new classroom looks warm and inviting. So good to hear Miss. Abbey is lovin' school too and dance. She looks very happy!!

Paulette said...

love your classroom it looks so much fun. So happy that Abbey loves her school too. the extra stuff is hard to fit in we are trying to figure it all out too.

Nanette said...

Welcome home!!!

Cute classroom! Can I attend?
Abbey looks darling in her dance outfit. Lacie is also taking ballet, tap and jazz on sat. mornings. It is so much fun to watch. She loves it.

Calico Sky said...

Oh Christi I'm so happy all has settled down and you are all enjoying this new journey! Your class looks a lot of fun!!!

Sylvia said...

Wow! I taught K for many years--your photos bring back many good memories.

Hope the two of you have a wonderful year!

Lucky Mama said...

Another year, another awesome adventure awaits you. Can't wait to see some of Abbey's projects from school as the year goes on. Why no photos of your classroom AFTER the kiddos went loose?! Ha.

Have fun and keep dancing!

/karen

Bailey said...

I am so happy to hear how well you both are doing back home. You have been so busy getting your class ready, and your preparation shows. Wow, what an awesome room! I would love to be a kiddo in your room. Abbey looks GREAT! So happy to hear that she now likes school. Please keep in contact, I miss hearing from you. Visit the website when you get the chance, some new things are brewing here in South Dakota!

Hugs,

Bailey :o)

Donna said...

So glad for the update and happy that school is going great for you and Abbey! I just love seeing her smile!

Ava Baby said...

Glad that Abbey is enjoying school. You did a great job with your classroom- looks great.

Anonymous said...

glad to see you back in the swing of things. hope all is well. where are you working? did you just take a leave from work and then get placed somewhere? let me know how you are.
polly

Teacher Mary said...

The classroom looks great--I am sure that the kids just love it! Abbey looks so sweet in her perfectly pink ballerina outfit! I cannot wait to see her perform in Oxnard! Which type of dance does she seem to like best? Keep missing you on Sunday--need to do lunch again! Lots of Love and Prayers with Kisses and Hugs too!

Deb said...

It sounds like you guys have integrated back to life in the states! Hope your school year is going well! I have to tell you that I so enjoyed your posts when you were in China....what a great experience for you both!!

Jen said...

Your classroom is lovely!

Unknown said...

ou I know I love you. your best chooice. thanks. Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys,Official NIKE NFL Jerseys

Unknown said...

know I love you. Cheap NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflyour best chooice. thanks. NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflCheap NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflCheap NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflCheap NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflCheap NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflCheap NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflCheap NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflCheap NIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflNIKE Jerseys Official, nike nike nike nike nike nfl nfl nfl nflCheap NIKE Jerseys Official

Anonymous said...

free bargain blog

pas chere blog

free jerseys fans blog

nike nfl jerseys blog

wholesale nfl jerseys us blog

bargain collection blog

Unknown said...

Not sure how I missed this post - but sure am glad I read it! nike nfl jerseysHow exciting for you - your new classroom looks warm and inviting.cheap jersey So good to hear Miss. Abbey is lovin' school too and dance.cheap jerseys She looks very happy!!